Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book Crossing Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In the chat today, Di mentioned that 84 copies of "84, Charing Cross Road" were released in the public as part of a book crossing. It's the first I had heard of book crossing, and I am intrigued.

I went to Google and found a Web site, which I did sign up for to see if I could learn about book crossing. They seem to talk about releasing books and journaling about finding them.

Does anyone here know more about book crossings?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, we had a big discussion about this last August here.

I joined, released some books, etc. None of my books were journaled after their release. I have stayed on to get the notifications of releases, but I've just yesterday turned those off because someone who is running a flea market has been "releasing" dozens of books each day and my inbox has been inundated with all the individual messages for each book. Gaa!

It's a great idea, but I'm tempted to just forego the record-keeping and donate the books to the library's sales.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I must have been at my annual meeting during that time. Sorry.

I doubt that I will do much on the site, though I did join it. I just thought the idea of keeping track of where books go is a great one. Once I was part of a stuffed animal crossing that had been all around the world. There was a diary attached to it, and people could record their whereabouts and other information. An elementary class had started the crossing and were waiting to find out where it ended up. What a wonderful idea to do the same thing with books!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post