Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barack Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
As you British posters know, we in the U.S. have a new president whose first name is Barack. I recently was listening to a BBC report, and the announcer pronounced his name as bah-RACK (to rhyme with Iraq). We pronounce it bah-ROCK. How do our British (and Canadian) posters pronounce it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
As you British posters know, we in the U.S. have a new president whose first name is Barack. I recently was listening to a BBC report, and the announcer pronounced his name as bah-RACK (to rhyme with Iraq). We pronounce it bah-ROCK. How do our British (and Canadian) posters pronounce it?

The most important thing is how he pronounces it.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canadians say bah-ROCK. But since Canadians have the cot-caught merger and not all Americans do, we might not pronounce it the same as you, Kalleh.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Is the capitalisation intended to indicate stress? We tend not to stress either syllable and most people use a schwa for the second: ba-rəck. However, if anything it's closer to an a than an o: ba-rack (as in where soldiers live). Do you pronounce it, then, the same way as baroque?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should practice what I preach and use IPA: [bəˈɹɑk]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I should, too, goofy. Arnie, the BBC announcer clearly stressed the second syllable. We do too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post