Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of or To? Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
My bank's website has links for each location labeled "Map Of XYZ Location". I keep thinking it sounds like it is a map of the floorplan of the branch or something. I would have said "Map to XYZ Locaiton" instead. What do you all think?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Directions to; map of.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Or, "map of directions to ..."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd say "map of," but was the "of" capitalized? If so, that would be confusing, I think.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Here is the link so you can see for yourself.

Thanks for agreeing with me that it's weird.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
CW, I clicked on your link, then clicked on Map of Downtown Branch ... and up jumped :

Map for: 365 S 4th St Columbus, OH 43215, United States

It's easy to see what you brought this topic that there's so much weirdness about up for anyway. LOL

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's easy to see what you brought this topic that there's so much weirdness about up for anyway. LOL

Weirdness or just simple ignorance of the English language?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cater: I'd suppose "to" if it's a larger-scale map showing how to get there and "of" if it details just the XYZ itself

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It seems to me that the map was NOT "of," but "to."

Asa in a tu tu wishing his too too solid flesh would melt as he sloshes it to and fro. (How's THAT for a lovely visual image!) Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Agreeing with Richard and Arnie that it would be a map "of" the location or directions "to" the location, but as a webmaster, I'd have solved this problem by making the link say, simply, "map." It's just awkward. It doesn't say "Map of Downtown Branch Location," it just says "Map of Downtown Branch," which does suggest a floor plan. But I would never say "map to" a location, and I grew up 90 miles SE of where you now reside. I know, it's practically Kentucky down there...

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CW, I only thought it was odd if the "of" were capitalized. However, it doesn't seem to be. I do think "map of" sounds correct. However, I like just plain map, too, Wordmatic.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post