Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frickin' Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Recently I have heard kids as young as 6 using the word "frickin'" all the time. Somehow I can't accept that in the same way that I accept "darn" or "gosh," and I think it inappropriate for kids to use.

Do you hear the word "frickin'" as much as I do? What are your thoughts on the word?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although the word frickin' has been around for a while, I mostly associate it with Austin Powers movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pozlp_wnkRk

Do you think they might have led to a popularisation of the term?

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's close to another (almost) euphemism friggin', although the verb frig means 'to masturbate'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
So frigate has nothing to do with naval vessels?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's close to another (almost) euphemism friggin', although the verb frig means 'to masturbate'.
Or freakin'

I have always considered all 3, frickin', friggin', or freakin' to mean "fuckin'." Maybe that's the problem? Others may not?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think there can be much doubt that "freaking" and "frickin'" are stand-ins for "fucking". And presumably, "frigging" can be, if you perceive/use it that way. In British English we also have "flaming" (as in "flamin' 'ell") which I assume is aanother f-word euphemism.

Oddly (?) one sometimes hears the word "fudge" doing the duty of the word "fuck", yet nobody ever seems to say "fudging" (not while I've been listening anyway.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alphabet Soup,

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Feck is also sometimes used in the UK and more often in the Irish Republic as an expletive, with the general meaning of "fuck". As mentioned on the Wikipedia page, The TV series Father Ted (1995-1998, and still often repeated) helped to spread it to the UK; before then, it was almost unknown outside the Irish community.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post