Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filler words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We were talking about filler words tonight, such as "er," "ah," "you know," etc. I wondered if these are present in every language. Shu thought so, but since languages are so different, I am skeptical. Does anyone know?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd certainly be reluctant to say that every language has fillers, but there's a wide range listed on this Wikipedia page. I can't really imagine that other than very few will be able to always speak without hesitation and requiring the use of fillers, and that is independent of the language they are using.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
filler words

I'd think that they're a pretty important and exist is every language. At least, every language that is still spoken. Also, I think if some linguist found a language without them, s/he'd've written am important paper on it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the fluidity of a language affects filer use?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, I think if some linguist found a language without them, s/he'd've written am important paper on it.
Have you read all the important papers in linguistics? I know that I've not read all the important papers on nursing so I was just wondering.

<Proofreader>
posted
The Guinness World Record book lists the "hugest accumulation of filler" as the Congressional Record.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Have you read all the important papers in linguistics?

Not nearly. There's a ton of them each year, but I think I would have heard of a language unlike any other language in the world, one of kind paper, if it existed.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I guess. However, mostly from what I've learned here on WC, it seems that languages are so very different that I just can't fathom every single one has filler words.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh,

During a conversation sometimes a speaker doesn't want to give up their turn and instead wants a little extra time to think about what they’re going to say next. They use a filler to signal this. This isn't really a matter of language, more a human thing. Certainly some people might think more swiftly and speak more fluently than most, but I don't believe any person is always able to speak without the need for filler words.

If there were a language that lacked filler words what would its speakers do when they needed to pause for thought without giving up their conversational turn? I can't believe no speakers hesitate. Inverse Sapir-Whorf, anybody?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, yet, arnie, you said this above:
quote:
I'd certainly be reluctant to say that every language has fillers,
quote:

During a conversation sometimes a speaker doesn't want to give up their turn and instead wants a little extra time to think about what they’re going to say next.This isn't really a matter of language, more a human thing.
Okay - let's take language out of it then. Is it realistic to think that all cultures in the world want a little extra time to think about their next words so they use filler words? I don't have any evidence either way, but it sure doesn't make sense to me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Jill Wagner, a linguist and Associate Professor at Temple University apparently agrees with you arnie. Another article pointed out that fillers aren't exclusive to English (though we knew that, didn't we?) and provided this link of examples.

I found no evidence supporting my position, but doesn't it just make sense?

[Edited for typo]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I found not evidence supporting my position, but doesn't it just make sense?

That people in some cultures don't hesitate when they talk? I find that hard to imagine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps. I just think sometimes we fall into what we (people, not Wordcrafters) know best and don't think about other possible ways of doing things. But you, and the others, might be right.

posted Hide Post
quote:
(people, not Wordcrafters)

Wordcrafters are people, too.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

Where is your evidence?

posted Hide Post
Correction: Some wordcrafters are people, too.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Name them, please.

BTW, why didn't you jump in on that Seattle limerick thread when I posted about the actuall pronunciation of the name? Confused I had to go and do it myselph.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Perhaps. I just think sometimes we fall into what we (people, not Wordcrafters) know best and don't think about other possible ways of doing things. But you, and the others, might be right.
I'm no expert, but use of fillers is common to my experience in Spanish, French, & German. I always like to sound authentic, so it's one of the first things I pick up in order to engage a native in conversation.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I always like to sound authentic, so it's one of the first things I pick up in order to engage a native in conversation.

?Que?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just didn't want to point fingers.

But Bethree, since there are (as of 2009) 6,909 distinct languages, you've only experienced .058% of them. And that's my point. It's hard to be so confident that every language has filler words - that all people in the world need to pause with a filler word to "keep their conversational turn."

I realize that I lack the evidence for that stance. Therefore, I have emailed Mark Liberman of Language Log to ask him to weigh in on this question. If he agrees with all of you, I'll throw in the towel (which I believe I have already thrown in anyway).