Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

close eye Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Yesterday the weatherman said a storm was approaching but it may not hit us. However he promisted to "keep a close eye on it."

How near to the storm must he be? If he doesn't actually have to be near it but merely watching it on a radar screen, how near to the screen must he be to warrant calling his distance close enough?

If he warns you to "keep an eye out" for an impending climatic change, does the eye have to be a good one, or will a glass eye count?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's also the idiom, "weather eye." If you look up and your eye gets wet, it's raining; if you get hit with a building, there's a tornado or hurricane. If a bird poops in it, it's clear weather.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I could have sworn we've talked about "close eye" before, but I couldn't find the discussion. It is an interesting question, I agree. I've always thought it a metaphor for being focused.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Rather like the way the boundary between idiom and cliche is blurred, the boundary between idiom and metaphor is fluid. I'd say that "keep a close eye ..." was an idiom, but it could also be argued that it was a metaphor (or a cliche).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
There's also the idiom, "weather eye." If you look up and your eye gets wet, it's raining; if you get hit with a building, there's a tornado or hurricane. If a bird poops in it, it's clear weather.

Can't speak on that but I surely have "weather joints", reminding me of oncoming inclement weather. "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post