Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All sorts of "fonts" Login/Join

posted
Thinking about this thread, a question popped into my head.

I can see how "font" could mean both a basin holding water, and more generally a source ("a font of knowlegde.") But how is it that it also has the meaning of "a type font"? Are the meanings related?

Yes, I could look it up, but what fun would that be?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, they are not related. According to Dictionary.com the "basin" meaning comes ultimately from fons, fontis, the Latin for fountain.

The "typeface" meaning comes originally from the Latin fundere meaning to pour forth. Remember, of course, that before the recent advent of computerised typesetting, type was produced by casting hot lead.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Examples of typeface are Times Roman and Arial. Examples of fonts are 10 pt Times Roman and 12 point Times Roman. You could say that a typeface is a family of fonts of various sizes and styles (italic, bold, etc). These days, the word font is shifting meaning so that it has the same meaning as typeface.

Posts: 38 | Location: Brampton, Ontario, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Last spring Richard came to Chicago to facilitate a focus group my company was holding. My assistant and I were surprised to find so many fonts that we had never heard of. Richard did a draft of a report, and then we worked on it, finding some really strange fonts. Even my assistant, a computer wizard, hadn't heard of them, and she thought it a cultural difference.

Yet, Sigg talks of Times Roman and Arial, both very common fonts here. I suspect there isn't a cultural difference with fonts. What do you think? What are your favorite fonts? I like Times Roman, but I don't like Arial. I like Poster for signs and the like.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Times New Roman is probably the most economical font there is, being highly legible in even the smallest sizes. Its display size is far less than its font size would imply and I always use it for documents where space is an issue. Its sole disadvantage is its bold italic which is a bit muddy.

Arial is a sans serif font and like all such needs a larger display size to be as legible as a serif font like TNR.

It seems to me that the modern tendency is to move towards sans serif fonts, especially in electronic media. I prefer, though, to stick to serifs in anything on paper.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Research has indicated that for second language speakers Comic Sans is the easiest font to read.
Me experience with my classes seems to bear this out.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'm so glad to hear that Comic Sans is easier to read - it's my favorite! I like it's smooth lines and easy curves . . . and yes, it's easy on the eyes.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used comic sans for some of my training manuals and I agree, it is a "friendly" font. However its display size is relatively large with ten point comic sans being approximately equal in size to 8 point TNR.

If both fonts are used in similar display sizes I still think the TNR is easier to read - although I accept it is a more formal and scholarly-looking font.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
It's said that this actually appeared in the classified ads of a newspaper, many years ago.
    Evangelical vicar, in want of a portable, second-hand font, would dispose, for the same, of a portrait, in frame, of the Bishop-elect of Vermont.

If the significance isn't apparent to you, paint over the following:
[start-white]An unconscious limerick, that can be read thus
    Evangelical vicar, in want
    Of a portable, second-hand font,
    Would dispose, for the same,
    Of a portrait, in frame,
    Of the Bishop-elect of Vermont.[end-white]

posted Hide Post
I had heard that this was to get around a newspaper's strict embargo on what it deemed to be frivolous advertisement - which obviously included those written in this form.

Richard English