Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You best not... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Ben Zimmer on Language Log writes about Donald's recent use of "best not" in his quote, "North Korea best not make any threats to the United States. They will be met with fire and fury like the world has never seen." The thoughts were that it sounded more southern or like it was from a Western. I remember one of my Wisconsin friends saying, "We'd best go..."

Have you seen it used?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Maryland and I have heard that here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now that I think about it, I've used it before, too. It seems to come from the past tense of "better?" "I'd better go" - but instead "I'd best go," do you think?

posted Hide Post
Superlative rather than past tense,it seems to me. Good, better, best.

posted Hide Post
In Old and Middle English the construction was him were better "it would be better for him" where him was dative. It is possible that the later construction he had better "he would find it better or preferable" arose from this. The earliest citation of a superlative is you had best from 1559.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes.

So - how about a little detail? Is it common that you hear it, Geoff? If not, would you consider it more a regionalism? I tend to think it is a regionalism.

<Proofreader>
posted
Found on a language blog:

The definition and etymology of Trump

From the Oxford English Dictionary:
Trump: vt. slang break wind audibly
From the Online Etymology Dictionary:
Trump (v.): “fabricate, devise,” 1690s, from trump “deceive, cheat” (1510s), from Middle Englishtrumpen (late 14c.), from Old French tromper “to deceive,” of uncertain origin. Apparently from se tromper de “to mock,” from Old French tromper “to blow a trumpet.” Brachet explains this as “to play the horn, alluding to quacks and mountebanks, who attracted the public by blowing a horn, and then cheated them into buying ….” The Hindley Old French dictionary has baillier la trompe “blow the trumpet” as “act the fool,” and Donkin connects it rather totrombe “waterspout,” on the notion of turning (someone) around. … Trumped up “false, concocted” first recorded 1728.
~~~~~
This entry was posted in Etymology, Jokes and puns, Words, phrases & expressions and tagged trump definition, trump etymology on September 17, 2015 by Louise.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of the definition of trump, meaning to "trump up" or, as dictonary.com puts it, "to devise deceitfully or dishonestly, as in an accusation" (think of Obama's birthplace) or "fabrication" (think of the number of people at Donald's inauguration). Such an interesting observation, Proof!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

So - how about a little detail? .
It's so ingrained in my speech that I can't remember when or where I've heard it most often. Sorry to be no help.

<Proofreader>
posted
The only time I've actually heard the phrase used was by my aunt (who died twenty years ago. When her kids were about to do something she didn't like, she'd say in the most disapproving tone, "You'd best not do that." It generally worked.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I shift my thoughts back to when I've heard it, I seem to remember that it as shorthand for "You had best not." Reworded, "It would be best if you didn't do it."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Geoff. That sounds right how I've heard it too.