Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Precise wording? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Is there a word for using the precise word for something? I seem to remember seeing it somewhere on this board....

Today I was in a meeting where I think I heard the word "exquisite" 20 times. We want our students to have an "exquisite" understanding of critical thinking or to be an "exquisite" practitioner or be an "exquisite" role model. Now, I suppose it fits into the definition of "excellent" or "flawless". Yet, I think of "exquisite" as being a better word for "beautiful." Am I being picky? Have you seen this word being used a lot these days?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have searched this site and checked the Reverse Dictionary for the word that means "using the precise word", but I can't find it. I know it exists, and I thought we had discussed it here! Any ideas? Of course, I thought the same about navel lint, and we never found that word.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Exquisite can mean "highly sensitive or discriminating and thus would make sense in the context you cite.

I don't know of any single word that means "using the precise word" but possibly scrupulous or punctilious convey most closely the meaning.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Punctilious" and "scrupulous" each mean "precise", but I thought there was a word that even went further to mean using the precise word. I was certain that we've talked about it, but I searched and searched and found nothing.

As far as that use of "exquisite", I agree with you, Richard, that it can be used that way, according to one of the third or fourth definitions. It's just that I think there are better words. To me, a diamond is "exquisite", not your ability to critically think.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I found the word today! It is French: le mot juste, and it means the right word. Now, to find that word for navel lint....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I found the word today! It is French: le mot juste, and it means the right word.

I think I prefer "the right word" or "the right phrase" over le mot juste. It's in a language I understand and can sometimes pronounce.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
How about squeezing all the flavour out of Le Mot Jus?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
As a non-French student, I don't use French words because my pronunciation of them is abominable! So, I agree with you, Tinman. Still, I think we should have a word for it and we shouldn't have to say "right word!"

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Someone told me that our President said, "The French ought to have a word for entrepreneur."

Anyone else ??

GOOGLE

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, darn. I had hoped that it was true that President Bush had the lowest IQ in 50 years! Razz

Of course, common sense tells you it isn't true because most people don't IQ tests done.