Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slop Login/Join

posted
As I prepared to take the kitchen scraps to the compost barrel this morning I said, "I'm going to slop the hogs." It then occurred to me that I'd not heard anyone say that since I was five years old. Is slop still a word in use, or is it archaic? Does anyone else have a slop bucket, or are they all now called compost containers?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
We generally call the "slop bucket" supper.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I've been on a working farm or ranch and seen hogs being raised, but I'm sure those folks still use the word slop.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We certainly use it - usually as a comment on the quality of a meal - but mostly in a farming context in the literal sense.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We did not have hogs on the farm I grew up on, so I'd not seen it used that way. However, I think it's still used to describe food, "That's just 'slop!'" Or we often use the adjective, "sloppy," don't we? "That is 'sloppy' handwriting!"

There are almost 8M google hits for "slop," though there are 42M for "sloppy."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Do you often find that after we talk about something here, the same word or concept comes up in another context? That happens to me a lot - just today a headline in the Tribune was: "Race to the Slop." It is talking about how the White Sox and Cubs are racing about who will have a worse record in 2013. It looks like the White Sox won this one. When the Cubs play the White Sox, they call it the Crosstown Classic. The Trib proposes that we rename it to the Losstown Classic.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This is a well known illusion akin to the recency illusion. It isn't that the word or concept suddenly starts coming up more it's that the discussion has put it in the front of your mind so that you notice it more.
The recency illusion is very similar in that you start noticing how often something is used and realise that you never noticed it before so you incorrectly assume that the usage has increased dramatically when what has really increased is your perception of it.

Once you start noticing something it's hard to stop noticing it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose, Bob, but it sure seems like it just crops up after we've discussed it.