Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haggard Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My poor colleague, who really is very attractive (just ask Shu!), got into the elevator in the lobby level of our offices with a 60-ish man. He said, "I just have to tell you this, but you look rather haggard today." She didn't know him, didn't work with him, and had no idea why he said that. She actually looked very cute that day, and I didn't get it either.

Therefore, I looked up the word to see if there were some meaning that I hadn't known about. Perhaps we had misunderstood him? I think not, though, as it typically seems to mean "appearing exhausted and gaunt." What I hadn't known about it is that it comes from the Old French meaning "wild hawk," perhaps of Germanic origin. That I won't tell her!

At any rate, could there be a kinder definition that he had meant? I can't fathom a stranger being so rude.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'll have to merle this over.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Odd. I wonder if he used a malapropism? I can't think what word he might have meant, though, so perhaps not.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
He might have been trying to be funny (a powerful way to create attraction in a woman) but hasn't yet got the technique quite right.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
A possible response .... "Well, thank you. So do you."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm with arnie on this one. Or,perhaps he'd been watching The Three Stooges.

<Proofreader>
posted
Or she could have answered, "Thank you. And you look positively flatulent."

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Proof, I'm amazed by your excellent eructition!

<Proofreader>
posted
I gas that was a compliment

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
eructition

Did you mean eructation - A reflex that expels wind noisily from the stomach through the mouth?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:
eructition

Did you mean eructation - A reflex that expels wind noisily from the stomach through the mouth?

Yes, Jerry, but I combined it with "erudition" to make it sound more like a malaprop, which, as we all know, is a poorly made propeller. Proofreader, thanks to his clearly having a warped mind, understood easily! My apology to all you normal people. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

I imagine instead of a smartmouth, this would be a fartmouth?

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, Jerry, but I combined it with "erudition" to make it sound more like a malaprop, which, as we all know, is a poorly made propeller. Proofreqader, thanks to his clearly having a warped mind, understood easily! My apology to all you normal people.

Jerry ?

Asa, does this mean you are being so rude as to classify me with all those normal people?

I was about to suggest that the cute colleague simply avoid using the lobby level lift, especially when there are 60-ish men around. And I'm obsessively curious to know precisely how she did respond.

Kalleh?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
That man was the worst kind of blackguard
To say that cute young miss looked haggard.
When he next comes her way
She should just turn and say,
“Why, today you look really Mick Jaggered.”

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
That is the most unsettling thing, to be told you look tired, when you thought you just looked normal! That's happened to me on occasion, and it is a deflating experience. I hope she told the man to go take a nap!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Especially, Wordmatic, when it was first thing in the morning. And I can assure you that this is one dynamite looking lady. Would that I were so pretty!

BTW, she said she was so shocked that she didn't know what to say, but she said, "Thank you for the insult." Another colleague had the best response, though, I think; she said she should have said, "Do I know you?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post