Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Can "express" be an intransitive verb?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can "express" be an intransitive verb? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A prerecorded voice on a Chicago bus:
"This bus will express at Delaware!"

Is this the correct usage? My dictionary didn't say that it could be used as an intransitive verb, but perhaps another's does?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, were you still on the bus when it got to Delaware? What did it do?

Your post inspires nightmare visions of a bus loaded with deleted expletives and the like, all being released at Delaware.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
It's a difficult question. If you go by the dictionaries define language rule, it's improper, but if you go by the speakers define language rule, it's OK, mainly because it's understandable. (Please note, I haven't said it's an OK usage. Some days I'm more of a prescriptive grammarian than a descriptive one.) The real test will be if it catches on with other bus drivers (or already has) and from them spreads to the non-bus-driver community. The only verb express that I know is transitive, but neither does it mean "to become an express (bus)". Just my tuppence.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and yet it doesn't seem unlikely to have someone order merchandise and be happy to hear "We'll express it to you overnight."

Verb, transitive, in this context, certainly? An outgrowth of the adjective "express," fast because of limited stops, as opposed to "local," stopping at all points along the way. (Lexington Av;enue, here we come!)

Although I must say I've never heard it verbed in the Chicago sense above.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Actually, Jerry, I wasn't on the bus. I read about it in the paper. Evidently the announcement was slow enough that it startled the passengers. They heard, "This bus will ex....," and some of them thought the word was going to be "explode!"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Another definition for "to express" is that process by which a lactating woman removes milk from her breast to be put into another container for later use in feeding a child.

If I were on a bus which announced it was about to express, I might be concerned about the stability of its transmission fluids, etc.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
CJ, please accept this as the compliment that is intended. I sometimes worry about your thought processes. Big Grin

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
As my grandfather once said, "Twisted thought processes are better than no thought processes at all!"

(Of course, shortly after he said that we put him into a home...)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Just so long as it didn't "express momentarily" to Delaware - that would really confuse any British passengers!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post