Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

calc- Login/Join

posted
According to the etymologies the Latin calx had two meanings, leading to separate English words. On the one hand it meant a "pebble" or "small stone," regardless of the type of stone involved.(Hence calculate, from Latin calculus, small stone used in reckoning, diminutive of calx, calc-, small stone for gaming. See too calx.) On the other hand, it meant "limestone," whether that limestone was in the form of a pebble or a larger chunk. (Hence calcium and chalk, each from Latin calx, calc-, lime.)

It seems strange that the same word would have meant both a particular size of stone, and a particular type of stone. Is AHD accurate and, if so, how did this come about?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
None of the dictionaries I consulted gave more than one entry for calx 'gaming piece; limestone'. (There is, of course, another word calx which means 'heel'.) Other words for stone: saxum and lapis; other words for pebble: lapillus and calculus.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I have this vision of the compiler of the first Latin dictionary asking a local, "What sort of stone is that?" On getting the reply "That's a pebble." he diligently wrote down "limestone = pebble".

I'm probably wrong, though. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Here's a money-making idea for you. Devise a little handheld electronic gizmo which would determine just the right amount of powder to apply to a baby's bottom for maximum comfort.

The device would be called, of course, a talculator.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wordnerd, it is coincidental that you should post about the etymology of "calculus." When Richard, arnie, Shu and I were on a tour of a Young's Brewery while in England, they showed us some limestone and said that's where the word "calculus" originated. So, is it true? I thought not.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
I've tracked it through Perseus, and I'm going to guess the shift of meaning came from the art of concrete-making.

The original word is the Greek khalix 'pebble', thus also 'gravel, rubble' used in building. I don't think the Greeks knew concrete -- Strabo was in the Roman period when he referred to khalix being used to make concrete.

So the Romans borrow this word as calx -- an early borrowing, as you can tell by the simplified form, not *chalix. They have no need for a word for 'pebble', they've got plenty of them lying around, so it comes in as a technical term, 'limestone', or 'lime'.

It was also used to mean 'gaming-stone', but the more usual word for this was the diminutive calculus. The plain calx basically meant 'lime', and thus also 'finishing line' and post-classically 'the end'.

I found a good explanation of Roman concrete.

It was calculus, a diminutive created in Latin, that took on the 'small stone' meaning, and specifically small stones used for operations such as gaming and reckoning, and also kidney-stones. So calculus also meant 'computation' in Latin.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post