Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Login/Join

posted
I'm curious how this term came to be applied to a roll of cloth. I guess that it might derive from Bolton, UK, an ancient textile center, but can find no evidence. Arnie, Bob, Stanley - anyone - can you help?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Online Etymology Dictionary suggests it was so called because of its shape.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
The OED seems to imply that it's a transferred use from its meaning of a projectile (as in a crossbow bolt) and, later, something you use to fasten stuff together - due to the similar shape, I suppose. Earliest use recorded is 1407.

On the other hand, there is a verb entry with the meaning "To sift; to pass through a sieve or bolting-cloth", plus a noun version of this meaning the thing you use to do the sifting. Both of these have the alternative spelling of "boult" (hence "boulter" and presumably the origin of that surname if you have it!), and appear around the same time at 1398 and 1425 respectively. But the OED doesn't seem to explicitly make the connection between these uses and "a bolt of cloth", so possibly it's coincidental.

OED-regurgitation is all I have to offer Big Grin

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've always wondered why the Westboro Baptist bigots wear clothes since some of the material has "fag ends." Given their animosity toward homosexuals, that seems a no-no.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The OED seems to be the gold standard, though, Stanley. I checked Quinion because I like him, but he didn't have anything about it.

In looking, I did find this somewhat related article from Straight Dope on the "whole nine yards."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proofreader, aren't you gonna say something about them there Baptists and straight dopes?

<Proofreader>
posted
The less said about Westboro, the better. Excuse me, I have to go handle some snakes.

posted Hide Post
A re-Bolt-ing development: By some quirk of fate I got in contact with someone who lives in Bolton. He said the town's name's origin isn't clear, but likely from its being located in a bowl. Bowl-town became Bolton. Had I known that I wouldn't have guessed cloth to have had anything to do with it.

I'm sure the Baptists will be relieved.

<Proofreader>
posted
So you made up that derivation out of whole cloth.

posted Hide Post
Yes. Do you give a sheet?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You two crack me up! [BTW, where did that phrase originate? I'll have to do some research now!]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this is right, but this site says that "to crack someone up" is an American idiom from the 1600s. At the time women's make up was thickly applied so that it would crack when she laughed. That almost sounds too easy to me.

posted Hide Post
I had assumed it was from women doing head stands.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the most common etymology of Bolton from Old English botl 'dwelling' + tun 'enclosure; town'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with zmj. There's a town named Bothel in Cumbria, not that far north of Bolton.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a Bothell in Washington State in the USA also. Since it was a logging town in its early days, I had assumed that when it got "civilized" they dropped the "r" after the "B."