Find
Notify
Tools

Business term? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My loveable, presciptivist daughter wrote me this:
quote:
One last question about Seattle: you're out of pocket all Saturday, right?
I had not heard "out of pocket" used that way (to mean "out of commission," she says); have you? She first apparently hears it all the time and thought it was a legal term. However, the partner in her firm said that it's a business term. Is it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've only heard it to mean 'losing money'.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Same as arnie.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The only business sense of out-of-pocket that I know is having to pay for something like dinner by yourself. The other meaning I know is lacking funds. I've never run across your daughter's meaning.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto zmježd. One often hears "out of pocket expense."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I'd only heard it that way, too.

I certainly know how you all feel about the Urban Dictionary, and for good reason. But, here is what it says.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From the UD, definition 1:
quote:
Paid from personal funds. Somehow over the past half year or so, "out of pocket" has become a new business catchphrase meaning "unreachable, out of communication", which is incorrect.

Ignoring the last three words of prescription, that seems to cover both the use most of us are familiar with, and the newer 'incorrect' use mentioned by Kalleh's presciptivist daughter.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the business term (if in fact it is one!) developed because people didn't know what "out of pocket" meant. They just changed it to "out of commission." I mean, how does "pocket" relate to commission anyway?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the youngsters heard "out of pocket" & pictured a cell phone left at home (perhaps on purpose).

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post