Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick your brain... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I had a meeting yesterday with my boss and someone who flew in from Washington. My boss asked how we could help her, and she said, "I'd like to pick your brains."

While I know that's a common cliche, that did it for me. During our whole lunch I had these visions of brains being picked. Ugh. I know it's because I am a literalist, but I realize I hate that phrase. Yet, my daughter said she likes it and thought I was crazy for feeling like that. Am I alone in that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take some solace perhaps from the fact that it's generally a compliment...

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it is a compliment, what should I think when people say they want to shovel mine?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I can see Hab's point - but I think my literalism gets in the way. I feel the same way about phrases like "getting my head(brain) around" or "getting my arms around" an idea. I imagine long arms or a flexible head/brain wrapping around the idea. I found this site about the differences between getting your head around something, versus getting your arms around something.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Be careful. You might get kuru. Eek

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDo8hedhhOk

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post