Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gubbins Login/Join

posted
I recently saw this bit of Britspeak that I'd not seen previously. Is it common? Is it synonymous with "doodad" or "thingamajig," or is it used in specific circumstances?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I recently saw this bit of Britspeak that I'd not seen previously.

I had never heard of it before, but the OED has citations from the mid-16th century. Besides gadget, it also means fish-parings, trash; fool, duffer.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Very common.
And yes, pretty much synonymous with doodad. Maybe a touch more specific in that it usually refers to the bit that makes something work.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We talked about it way back here: Link Yet, I only cited it and didn't mention where I'd gotten it. Gubbins isn't a familiar word to me, though the others in that thread are. I guess tchatzkah could be another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
tchatzkah

I've seen more variation on spelling the Yiddish word טשאַטשקע (tshatshke) 'trinket' in English than even the more famous Hannukah. Essentially, the Yiddish word has a variety of meanings: (1) trinket, geegaw, worthless bauble, (2) pretty young girl, (3) bimbo, (4) adulterous woman. It's from a general Slavic word meaning 'toys': cf. Polish cacka (tsatska), Slovak čačka (tʃatʃka), Russian цацки (tsatski).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on Bob's comments, and the context in which I saw "gubbin," I think tchatzkah (with which I am familiar) must have a more generic meaning, or suggests something superfluous, not something necessary but unnamed.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Many Yiddish words have multiple spellings. I am not sure why. There are many French, German, Spanish, etc., words out there where the spelling is always the same.

I only know tchatzkah to mean a worthless bauble or trinket.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Gubbins certainly isn't a worthless bauble or trinket. It's something (possibly important) for which the speaker can't put a name. For instance, many people, speaking about the hardware inside their computer box, might say that they "know nothing about all that gubbins".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Today was the first time I had ever heard of the word "gubbins." Tshatshkes, on the other hand, are something I've heard about a lot, always referring to the little garbage-y souvenirs the college where I worked would give out at reunions and such. If you go to a country fair and play one of the carnival games, you might win a tshatshke and could throw it in the trash without harming yourself; whereas, if you misplaced the gubbins from your Snickerdoodle press, you could be up a creek without a... gubbins.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post