Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A "tackY" question Login/Join

posted
Are the terms, tack, as is used to refer to equestrian equipment, and tackle, as used to denote fishing equipment, related?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I believe it dates bck to the time of King Arthur when knights rode into streams to catch the evening meal. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will verify this.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see... King Arthur was before the Norse invasions, IIRC, so it wouldn't be that if they caught something in the stream they wouldn't have thanked the Nordic god with the Nordic word, "tak," which means "thanks," I recon. Anybody else got an idea???

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
According to etymology.com, they are related in the sense of equipment.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED Online lists the following etymology:
quote:
tackle, n.
Etymology:  apparently of Low German origin: compare Middle Low German takel equipment generally, e.g. of a horseman, spec. of a ship, hoisting apparatus, Low German takel , also early modern Dutch takel strong rope, hawser, pulley, modern German takel , Swedish takel , Danish takkel tackle; < Middle Low German taken , Middle Dutch tacken to lay hold of, grasp, seize, with instrumental suffix -el.

It lists 9 definitions:

1. Apparatus, utensils, instruments, implements, appliances; equipment, furniture, gear.
Attested from a1325

Attested from a1300 (a) and 1529 (b).

a. Freq. with pronunc. /ˈteɪk(ə)l/ . The rigging of a ship: in early use often in wider sense of ‘equipment’ or ‘gear’ as in 1; in later use spec. the running rigging or ropes used in working the sails, etc., with their pulleys; passing into sense 3 ground tackle, anchors, cables, etc., by which a ship is made fast to the ground.

b. Cordage; a rope used for any purpose.

Attested from 1539-40 (a) and 1874 (b).

a. An arrangement consisting of a rope and pulley-block, or more usually a combination of ropes and blocks, used to obtain a purchase in raising or shifting a heavy body.

b. A windlass and its appurtenances, used for hoisting ore, etc.; also, generally, the apparatus of cages or kibbles, with their chains and hooks, for raising ore or coal.

Attested from c1400 (a) and 1557-87 (b).

a. Implements of war, weapons; esp. arrows; also, a weapon; an arrow. Obs.
Attested from c1400 (a) and 1557-87 (b).

b. Phr. to stand (or stick) to one's tackle.

5. Apparatus for fishing; fishing-gear, fishing-tackle.
Attested from 1398.

6. The equipment of a horse; harness.
Attested from 1684.

7. A mistress. Obs. Slang.
Attested from 1688

8. Victuals; food or drink; ‘stuff’. slang.
Attested from 1857

9. [ < tackle v.]
Attested from 1876 (a), 1891 (b), and 1930 (c).

a. Rugby Football. The act of tackling

b. In American football: Each of two players (right and left) stationed next to the end rusher or forward in the rush-line.

c. The act of tackling in other sports.

The 1688 quote following definition 7 is “My pure Blowing, my Convenient, my Peculiar, my Tackle.” Convenient, peculiar, and tackle are obsolete terms for mistress. Peculiar is also an obsolete term meaning “personal property”. I couldn't find any direct connection of blowing with mistress, but blowing is an obsolete word for bloom or blossom. Perhaps that is the connection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Tackle" is also colloquially used here for the male appendages.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The OED Online lists the following etymology
I've got to get a subscription to the OED again!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've got to get a subscription to the OED again!

Doesn't your library have it online yet? tsk tsk tsk

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post