Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hanging out Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Garrison Keillor just had a column differentiating between "dating" and "hanging out."
quote:
I was at the café last night and caught a conversation between two girls about whether one of them had dated a particular boy or was just hanging out with him, an interesting piece of semantics. Texting the boy on a cell phone was what distinguished hang-out from date: She had flashed him a friendly “What’s up?” and he being nearby met her for a dish of ice cream, and they migrated to a party at his friend’s house and thence to his grandma’s, where he is currently living (and driving Grandma’s BMW), his parents having cut him loose financially since he quit school to become a writer. There was audible eye-rolling on the word “writer.” She didn’t want to date him because he was too screwed up, so it was only a hang-out situation. I wanted to know more about the BMW guy who lived with Grandma — think of it! Unconditional love plus a luxury automobile with a perpetual full tank of gas — but the girls drifted away and left me sitting alone, staring into my latte."
That's an interesting distinction. What is your definition of "hanging out?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Severe wardrobe malfunction.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Beyond an unzipped fly?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I rather like the thought of audible eye-rolling. Perhaps they need some eye-drops to enble smoother rolling?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard this distinction. "Hanging out" is even more casual than dating. It may or may not involve physical intimacy . . . most likely not. Very casual encounters with sex (usually just the sex without any other relating required) fall into the category of "hooking up".

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. I forgot about "hooking up." It's so complicated these days.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Very casual encounters with sex (usually just the sex without any other relating required) fall into the category of "hooking up".

Would unhooking require a hospital visit?

I heard a new word today from one of the redneck announcers at a NASCAR event. "Today I heard a story that was very heartwhelming."If it gets too big, will it break or explode?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of heartwhelming, but there are 10,000 Google hits with it.

Picture of Hal
posted Hide Post
"Hanging out" means: we're friends but mind-your-own-business.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
"Hanging out" also seems to indicate that there is no set agenda for the time spent together.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

Would unhooking require a hospital visit?

Depends on whether your fetish is Velcro or fish hooks.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, I missed your new location. How soon will it be Muncie? We'll be so close!

posted Hide Post
I'll retire the first of November, then the move will depend on the weather. The sooner the better!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I didn't know it was so soon. Congratulations!

I understand your wanting to be with your sweetheart. However, I sure like Portland. Adventures are exciting, though. You will like the midwest, and we'll be able to get together much more often!