Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metastasize Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Being a nurse, of course I associate the word "metastasize" with cancer. While I know it has a broader meaning, I've only heard it used with cancer. I was surprised to read this in the Tribune this morning (talking about our recent 19 inches of snow):
quote:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel turned his attention to plowing residential streets Monday as he tried to head off the frustration that can metastasize into political problems for a mayor if Chicagoans are dissatisfied with his handling of a big snowfall just weeks before an election.
Do you see it used like this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Only rarely but I can't remember where or in what context. Like you, cancer is the first thing that comes to my mind.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an allegorical usage: something small that grows and spreads into something widespread and troublesome, not to say dire. So even in this context it's being used in the cancer-ssociated sense. (Which may or may not be appropriate...)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It also refers to 2 sounds switching places, like "aks" for "ask" or Spanish "milagro" (miracle)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean, goofy.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're different words. I never realized that before.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I see from wiki that 'Metástasis' was the chosen Spanish name for the series 'Breaking Bad'. Nicely chosen.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I find these other definitions at dictionary.com:
Rhetoric: a rapid transition, as from one subject to another.
Physics: a change in position or orbit of an elementary particle.
(3rd meaning of 'transformation'): change in form, appearance, nature, or character.
I have never heard or read these usages secondary to the medical definition. I speculate that any current mainstream use, if not directly referring to the medical meaning, would carry the metaphorical. meaning, i.e., ominous growth.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, makes sense. Thanks, Geoff.