Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marine vs. Maritime Login/Join

posted
While thinking about the question raised in the "water" theme, another question popped into my mind.

What's the different between marine (as an adjective) and maritime? Is there any difference?

posted Hide Post
From my experience, marine is used to describe wildlife, and maritime is used to describe shipping.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quote: "From my experience"

With Illinois so far from any seacoast, how much experience could ya have? Wink <kidding>

posted Hide Post
We have the lake, and I've been sailing quite a few times. But of course I meant my "linguistic experience", which you already knew.

posted Hide Post
I think the US Marine Corps and the Royal Marines would object to being called 'wildlife'!(Maybe not though!) I would suggest 'marine' refers to waterborne activities including wildlife whereas 'maritime' refers to ships and shipbuilding, boats and associated activities.

Posts: 153 | Location: South Shields, England.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
To Seanahan: wordnerd is just being nautical, instead of niceical.

posted Hide Post
You're right Erik, the Marine Corps and Royal Marines poke a hole in my theory.

In general, I would say marine refers to military, and maritime refers to civilian shipping. Of course, I'm sure Erik has many counterexamples for me.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would say marine refers to military
Over here, we talk about the "merchant marine" when referring to civilian shipping. However, the town where I live, Greenwich, has the National Maritime Museum, which mostly covers civilian shipping...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post