Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wrong way news? Login/Join

posted
While watching NPR news tonight I saw a scrolling banner supposedly translating Iranian bigwig Rouhani (sp?) which was scrolling left to right. Don't all middle eastern languages go right to left? Did somebody goof?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Arabic script is read from right to left, so it scrolls from left to right, unless I am mixed up.

posted Hide Post
Duh. I had my head on backwards. Of course the scrolling is left to right if they read right to left. Mental dyslexia on my part.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Toronto we had scrolling LED messages in the subway and one of them was in Arabic script, it was probably Persian. Anyway I remember that it was scrolling the wrong way, and I told them, and they fixed it. But since I am so bad with right and left, maybe I was wrong and it was always fine.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll have to watch scrolling then because it sure seems like things are scrolled left to right here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
English is read from left to right therefore it scrolls from right to left. Unless I am mixed up and I usually am.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now that I think about it, you may be right. I can't find anything that scrolls from side to side.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post