Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If it ain't broke... Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
One may saddle break a horse, or break in a new pair of shoes, but in neither case is the "broken" thing rendered unusable; rather, it's MORE usable. How'd this usage of "break" develop?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I went to the online OED and found so many definitions of the verb break, from destroying, to breaking in lawn tennis, to breaking bread, to break your heart, to break one's duck (cricket), to better a record (Stock Exchange jargon), to disprove (an alibi), to impair (in health or strength). And that's only a few that I found interesting! I have no idea how all of these have evolved.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
There are many words in English with multiple meanings. I seem to recall that, according to Guinness, the word "set" or "sett" has 156 meanings.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I always enjoy taking a break from work . . . and I used to love watching people break dance, although I could not do it well myself.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: break in the equino-brogan context.

Asa, it's fairly literal, as it turns out; in both cases you DO break things.

The horse's spirit is broken, its independence, so that it comes to tolerate a heavy human on its back and obey the commands of the reins and heels.

The shoes' stiffness and inflexibility is broken up; literally, connections between fibers in the leather are broken.

David

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Froeschlein:
Re: equino-brogan.

Wow, that's some set of horse shoes! Ol' Dobbin be stylin'! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post