Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coven Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Does anyone here know anything about the word "coven"? I came across that word recently and had vaguely known it to be related to witches. In looking it up, I find that it is an assembly of 13 witches and comes "perhaps from Middle English covent, assembly, convent". Why 13? It comes from "convent"? Witches and nuns? Confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Does anyone here know anything about the word "coven"? I came across that word recently and had vaguely known it to be related to witches. In looking it up, I find that it is an assembly of 13 witches and comes "perhaps from Middle English covent, assembly, convent". Why 13? It comes from "convent"? Witches and nuns? Confused

I don't know why 13 but my dictionary suggests that both words come from the Latin convenire (to come together): coven via the Old French covin (a group) and convent from the Old French covent (a meeting).

This site says

quote:
coven - "a gathering of witches," 1660s, earlier a variant of covent, cuvent early forms of convent (q.v.). Association with witches arose in Scotland c.1500, but not popularized until Sir Walter Scott used it in this sense in "Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft" (1830).

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've nothing to back it up, but I'm guessing that the number 13 came about as a christian attribution, and not as an original number chosen by pre-christian animist religions.

What's odd about a "convent" of witches? I suggest reading The Mists of Avalon for an interesting fictional account of "witches" vs. christians. IMHO, christians have given witches a really bad rap!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bob, for that wonderful site. I see your point about the "13" Asa, and I imagine the answer may be in that "Letters on Demonology and Witchcraft" that Bob recommends. I have also found out that "coven" comes from the Latin "convenire" meaning "to agree". I imagine that "convent" then--an assembly of nuns--derived from the same word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
"coven" comes from the Latin "convenire" meaning "to agree".
A better translation would be the more literal "to come together". The modern word "convention", as in a meeting of Star Trek fans or of sales staff, comes from the same root.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Then again, covens of witches were famous (or, depending on your point of view, infamous) for orgiastic rituals.

This is, of course, what led to the popular saying "Nothin' says lovin' like something in the coven."

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
The saying I'd heard is "Nothin' says lovin' like something in the oven." Roll Eyes

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"Nothin' says lovin' like something in the oven.

Cooked fruit? Fetus - or foetus - means "fruit".

Shufitz' quotation is a parody of the Pillsbury advertisements of bygone days.I suppose they dropped the ads because they showed how horny the Pillsbury doughboy was. Pop him in the oven and get him hot and just watch him rise! Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Plus that orgasmic giggle of his was always more than a bit off putting

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post