Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming out Login/Join

posted
Since homosexuals have co-opted the term, "coming out," what do the upper crust types now call debutantes?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED says slightly different:

13. To show oneself publicly (in some character or fashion); to declare oneself (in some way); to make a public declaration of opinion. Also spec. to acknowledge publicly one's homosexuality. Cf. to come out of the closet at closet n. 3d.

14. To make a début on the stage or int some kindred professional character.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard people say "make her debut" and/or "have her season", but most of the families I know are too dedicated to equal rights to pander to such misogynistic antiquated ways. I was given the choice, in my teen years, and politely declined the dubious honor of the "deb ball" experience.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
given the choice, in my teen years, and politely declined the dubious honor of the "deb ball" experience.

My sister also turned down the invitation, but my brother accepted and was runner-up queen.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say that Caterwauller is right. The notion of debutante has, in any meaningful way, pretty-well faded into history, as has the notion of a young woman's "coming out" [into society]. As far as I am concerned, the homosexuals can have the term! Wink

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that I was THAT far behind the times! When I was a youngster, I read in the newspaper society pages of many upper crust teenage girls "coming out," although I only had one friend whose family had the status to have their daughter be a debutante. Alas, that friend pulled a "Richard Cory." So much for being rich...

Thanks, y'all for bringing me up to date.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
First off, Welcome back CW. We hope you'll pull up a chair and stay awhile. Wink

I wonder if these debutante parties are seen in only in certain parts of the country. I surely never saw them when I was young, and even now I've only seen them in certain cultures. Here is an article about them.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Wow - the comments on that article are scathing. I'm sure there are still plenty of Deb balls around. There are families much more "well off" than mine who care strongly about such things as "marrying the right kind". I'm glad they're making them international. Should help with the problems of inbreeding seen in the royal families of old.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I'm sorry that these events have faded into insignificance. Essentially, they would mark a young woman's entry into the marriage market. Over here she would be presented to the sovereign at Court but Liz realised in 1958 that they were a waste of resources and abolished them.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, arnie.

CW, there was more of an article there when I first posted it - strange that it has changed. I rarely read the comments of articles so I hadn't realized they were scathing. Sorry about that - but, remember, it's from England. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post