Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scared Hair Login/Join

posted
A few days ago I pulled the following citation out of the OED; can someone from the British contingent explain who or what "Scared Hair" refers to in this context?

"Many times in history we get this type of phonus bolonus from Scared Hair, so we give him the razz and go back to minding our own business."
- Sunday Telegraph, 18 Feb. 1990

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It doesn't mean anything to me. As it is a report that goes back 17 years it is probably a reference to someone who was important back then and who is now forgotten.

More context might help - if it's political it might refer to Michael Heseltine.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
More context might help

yeah, if I had more context...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice to see you again, Tsuwm.

While this is most likely not related because the phrase wasn't capitalized, I did find this definition of "sacred hair" in a blog discussion of Allusion in Neoclassical Poetry: "'Sacred hair' recalls the forbidden fruit which causes the fall of humanity 'forever, and forever!'"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It sounds to me like an allusion to the old Our Gang comedies which occasionaly would depict one of the kids with hair standing straight up while being frightened - especially Buckwheat or Stymie, the two black kids. (They never tossed any dwarfs, though)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Interesting, tsuwm.

The Telegraph's on-line archives don't go that far back. (But knowing you, you'd already checked there!) My thought was that since Scared Hair is capitalized, it might be a name, as of a rock group. But any well-known name would certainly appear in the news, and there was nothing of the sort in Google's News-archives. Nor in an Amazon search, for that matter

Wonder if it could be a misquote or a typo?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a misquote or a typo?

e.g., Sacred Hair? Cool

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Scared Hair looks like a nickname for someone, possibly the writer's own. The reference to phonus bolonus might indicate a politician, since that is what they tend to produce. The hair reference could well be to Michael Heseltine.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So sorry...I had misread it as sacred hair. I sure found some interesting articles looking for it, though! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now "scared hare" will get you about 500 Google hits which is surprisingly about half as many as you get for "scared hair".

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Searching Google for "scared hair" (with quotes) and specifying UK-only pages, I get only ten hits, none of which is useful.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard and arnie seem to have come up with the most likely suggestion in the politico with the unruly coif; but it does seem odd that there is no confirmation to be had online.

does the Telegraph have an ombudsman, or the like, to whom I could email an inquiry?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Michael Heseltine looks extremely scary to me, so I'm not surprised his hair is afraid of him too!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post