Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Come ride with me Login/Join

posted
While out on my motorcycle today, it occurred to me that one "rides" a motorcycle, yet one "drives" a car or a truck. Anyone have any explanation for this discrepency?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's because you sit astride a motorbike, in the same way as riding a horse?

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Yes. And the analogy goes further. One drives a carriage and pair or other horsedrawn vehicle.

Indeed, the term "car" derived from "carriage" (although the US "auto" derived from the french "automobile" - meaning "self-propelled).

Motorcycles, and their predecessors bicycles, were always ridden as they are the clear mechanical equivalent of the horse, not the carriage.

There has been an unfortunate tendency in the less well-informed media for journalists to speak of motorcycle "drivers". Resist this corruption, please, with all the means at your disposal!

Richard English

[This message was edited by Richard English on Fri Nov 15th, 2002 at 11:59.]

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
The analogy goes even further than that.

In the good ol' pre-auto days, it was necessary to communicate simple commands to the animals pulling whatever carriage you were riding in. This was done in a loud voice which, over the course of a long drive, would often result in the driver's throat becoming sore and raspy.

Hence the name "hoarsedrawn vehicle."

(See "horse/hoarse" thread elsewhere.)

(No, on second thought, don't.)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a misconception.

The situation you describe has given rise to the rarely heard term, "hoarse controlled" vehicle. A "hoarse drawn" vehicle is a vehicle that has been depicted on a poster or similar reproduction, the creation of which has been undertaken by a person of limited vocal means.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
CJ refers to the teamster yelling in "a loud voice which, over the course of a long drive, would often result in the driver's throat becoming sore and raspy."

Would this be the proverbial hoarse of a different choler?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You guys are funny! Don't forget whom you're dealing with here--Miss Literalist. I almost got sucked into this one (no comments from the peanut gallery, please!).

Morgan, one drives a tractor, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, dear! What did I start here? big grin

In New York State, if you are pulled over for drunk driving, the charge is "DWI": "Driving While Intoxicated". This goes for both autos and motorcycles.

There is also an "SWI" charge: "Snowmobiling While Intoxicated".

Just another point to ponder!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
ALL DWI offenders, regardless of mode of transportation, should be horsedrawn and quartered!

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I agree with Arnie. The difference seems to be related to whether your knees are together as in:

Knees apart, you ride:
a motorcycle
a horse
a broomstick
a unicycle

Knees together you drive:
a car
a truck
a tractor
me crazy.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Depends on the tractor, and, CJ, I would think it would depend on the woman. big grin

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Brings to mind a woman on a tractor. Woo-Hoo! Now you're talkin'!!

posted Hide Post
In your Knees apart list CJ, you forgot one... Another person! yehawwww!

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Yeah, but, one of them will have their knees apart, and the other might not... So, is one of them riding and the other one driving? Oohhhh, I shouldn't have asked that! eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
These threads are cross-pollinating like crazy but that last entry brings to mind the old line about using aspirin as a birth control device. The woman puts an aspirin tablet between her knees.

And then keeps it there.

posted Hide Post
CJ? I gave my daughter a dime for the purpose. A Canadian one, at that! (They are much thinner!) wink

posted Hide Post
Isn't it fascinating how we try so hard to prevent our children from making the same mistakes that we made when we were their age? And with so little success.

Of course, if we were to think back to that time and recall just what value we placed on our parents' advice, we ought really to know why we are just wasting our time!

Richard English

posted Hide Post
You said a mouthful Richard!

As I have said elsewhere, Morgan is my granddaughter's middle name. That is, my daughter's daughter! I am a young granny though! wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
I am a young granny though! wink

The more cynical among us (particularly the younger cynics) might comment that "young granny" is a confliction of terms. Being a young grampa myself, I certainly will not cast the first stone in this case particularly since, in my dotage, my arm is shot.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Young grandparents--maybe one of our oxymorons?

Morgan, I was wondering if you've heard of the word pillion, meaning a seat for a second person on a motorcycle. It was new to me.

posted Hide Post
Interesting word, Kalleh! I honestly had never heard of a pillion to refer to a seat for a passenger on a motorcycle. Although in Googling, I found examples of pillion seats. These are what we refer to as "his and her" seats, as the passenger is usually a female with the rider being male.

posted Hide Post
The pillion is an older UK term for the second seat on a motorcycle and was universal until the advent, in the 1950s, of the dual seat.

The pillion as rather an afterthought (and often an aftermarket fitment) that was bolted to the rear mudguard. Sporting machines (like my Rudge Ulster) were not usually fitted with pillions by the factory.

The cheaper pillions were made from sponge rubber; better ones had springs; all were rather uncomfortable.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Richard, your motorcycle sounds very unique to me. I know I would be interested in seeing it. Is there any way for you to post a picture of it here?

And to keep this word related, you clarified for me what a pillion is! Thank you. Everything I looked at in Google, simply suggested it was a seat made for two, rather than a separate seat.

posted Hide Post
I don't know how to post a picture here but there is a picture of my Rudge on the Rudge site - www.rudge.co.uk. Unfortunately at present the main photo gallery (where it is) is in the members' area although I am asking the webmaster to allow greater access to non-members.

However, if you follow the link to Rudge history you'll see a picture of Graham Walker at speed on his 250. Next to that there's a paragraph that talks about the Ulster and a link to a picture of Graham's 1930 TT-winning machine. Click on that and you'll see a bike very like mine, although mine's not so shiny (or so valuable!).

Of course, if you join the Rudge Enthusiasts Club then you'll be able to get access to the members' area and join the worldwide Rudge fraternity. We have many members in the USA, any one of whom would, I know, be happy to let you see (and maybe even ride) a Rudge.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I was looking at Acronym Finder and was looking up RN. I came upon one that probably fits Morgan...she may have suffered from this a time or two seeing as she rides motorcycles. Cool

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG! Too funny!

"RN -- Rearendis Numbicitis (motorcycle riding malady) Smile "

Actually, I usually suffer from "RH" -- Rearendis Hurtus! Frown