Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Need word for Democratic Republican
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need word for Democratic Republican Login/Join

posted
Speaking of Stephen Colbert or Arnold Schwarzenegger, there ought to be a third party. A partisan blue is supposed to be socially progressive and secular but fiscally lavish; a red socially conservative and pious but financially prudent. Yet I'm sure many of us are morally liberal and freethinking but at the same time monetarily sound

Join me in my quest to establish a Party Purple

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A variety of maps of the Red-Blue divide in the USA. The Libertarian party is supposed to be socially progressive and fiscally conservative. There are also anarchist, minarchist, and anarcho-syndaclist communist parties out there, too. But, they have little to do with words. Let's see how to make this a words thread instead of a crypto-political one? How about: passive-aggressive personality disorder?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zm, it is a word thread, and apparenty you supplied it in your first sentence. However, the Opinion Editor of our local Fourth Estate calls himself a Libertarian, but he leans to the right in most all respects, including social issues

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
a red socially conservative and pious but financially prudent

Join me in my quest to establish a Party Purple

Perhaps purple could stand for what red purports to stand for:
where "socially conservative" = minding your own business about other people's private affairs;
where "pious" = observant of the rites and traditions of the American constitutional democracy
where "fiscally conservative" = balancing the budget instead of 19th-c. laissez-faire policies where industrial goods are produced by slave children, mortgages are foreclosing, and businessmen are parachuting out of collapsing corporations.

START WEARING PURPLE!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've long been frustrated by the Orwellian twisting of terms in politics. BTW, go back far enough in our history and you'll find a Democratic-Republican party! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic-Republican_Party

Reply With QuoteReport This Post