Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hardware cloth Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh and I just had a discussion of ways to keep Shu's and her dog from tearing through their screened-in porch when frightened by thunder. I suggested hardware cloth, but she said she'd never heard of it. Is this now a rare item? Do the rest of you know what it is?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former. "
Albert Einstein

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hardware cloth is very much still around.

Kalleh - it comes in grades by fractional inches. For example, 1/8" X 1/8", 1/4" X 1/4", up to 1/2 by 1/2". After that, I think it's called welded mesh.

Another item (just learned of this) is something called pet screen - which is basically plastic window screen with slightly larger openings and much larger fibers to withstand the onslaught of pets.

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it. If I wanted welded mesh I'd ask for welded mesh

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Nope, unknown to me, too.

If pressed to guess, I'd have said it was a cloth used for polishing a computer. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I am off to the hardware store this weekend, so I will let you know what they call it. I can't wait to be able to use our porch again. Asa has been a lifesaver!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Asa has been a lifesaver!

Huh? I'm not so fat as to be round (yet!) and there's no big hole in me middle (yet!) Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Perhaps we could experiment by throwing you in the water, Asa, to see if you saved someone who was drowning. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I am off to the hardware store this weekend, so I will let you know what they call it.

Don't forget the frotting pencils.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Great skit!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great skit!

Indeed. But I think this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9MptWyCB8 has the edge.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ah! The "Four Candles" sketch! Pure genius. Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, experiment completed. I went to our local hardware store, that has been in existence for many years, and asked one of the regular clerks for "hardware cloth." He'd never heard of it. When I explained what I wanted, he immediately knew: "Oh...pet screen!" Go figure. He wasn't a baby, either. I'd guess he was at least in his 60s.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm just going to have to send you some to prove that I'm NOT hallucinating! Of course, pet screen will do the trick too!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So it's different? He wondered if I meant chicken wire, but I didn't think so.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
My father used to say he should put emery cloth on the screen doors when the dog scratched them in the summer. That would tend to file down the doggie toenails. But a few years back, we bought the pet screens also for our screen doors. When George is awake, I'll ask him if he ever hears of hardware cloth. He grew up in Upstate New York.

I'm not surprised our UK friends have not heard of it, since everywhere I've ever been in the UK, which is certainly not very many places, I admit, but they have had neither screens in their windows nor screen doors in the summer. Not enough bugs, I guess?
Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
He must not have been in the hardware business very long despite his age! Look here: http://www.twpinc.com/ And here:http://www.twpinc.com/twp/jsp/product.jsp?type=4
and here: http://www.wovenwire.com/galvanized-hardware-cloth.htm

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hey, Asa, that last link was perfect. Now we have a definition of hardware cloth!

Wordmatic, I related right away to "emery cloth" (I grew up in upstate NY). I'm sure we had that in the hardware store. My dad & friends were in the construction business, & I only remember them saying 'wire mesh' (fine gauge etc)-- but then, my dad grew up in Indiana.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Indiana, we called it hardware cloth. We used it for rabbit cages, burying in the ground to keep small critters out of flower beds, fortifying screen doors, and probably many other things.

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I just had a look at the Four Candles sketch. We used to see The Two Ronnies on our local PBS station years ago, but have not seen it listed for years. What a hoot. I had a little trouble with the "pumps" and the "Bill Hooks" references, until I read this Wikipedia article.

It is hilarious.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Now that we have established the existence of such a thing as hardware cloth, I'm left wondering if the Monty Python folks, in the Holy Grail movie, might have knitted their knickers out of steel wool and their shirts of hardware cloth? No? Wellll, there's a skit waiting to be written!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, that first site that Asa posted spelled it "hardwarecloth."

I visited my father today in Wisconsin, and he immediately knew about hardware cloth. I guess I missed out on those conversations when I was a little girl.