Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

de- Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Recently, I called someone delightful. However, afterwards, I wondered, "would 'lightful' be better? Doesn't delight really mean no light? In looking up the prefix "de" (from AHD), it means: opposite of, such as "decriminalize"; remove, such as "delouse"; out of, such as "deplane"; reduce, such as "degrade"....but here's the kicker it also means derived from, such as "deverbative". So, perhaps delight means dervived from light. All 4 first meanings relate to each other, but isn't the fifth meaning contradictory? Couldn't that confuse us with words? Might we not think "deverbative" means without verbs?

Or--maybe delight has nothing to do with the "de" prefix. My trusty AHD also says that delight comes from French delitier, meaning to please or charm and also from Latin delectare, meaning to allure or entice.

If you think of all the "de" words & use the first definition in AHD, which is opposite of, it is fun to try to extrapolate the meanings of words. For example does "depressed" mean not pressed?

Lots of questions here! confused

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really got me thinking with this one Kalleh! I live on an international border. Everytime I cross the border, I am asked, "Do you have anything to declare?" My trusty, never dusty, Webster's says that declare comes from the Latin "de" meaning completely and "clarare" meaning to make clear. But this is one of those words that the "de" is not a prefix, as "clare" just isn't a word on its own. Interesting stuff, Kalleh!

Just a humorous anecdote for those who are interested. About 25 years ago, a friend from Canada was dropped off at my house for the day by some of her other friends who were visiting. We went to take Arlene home that night. In the front seat of the car is my husband, then me, then Arlene. We get to the border and are all asked our citizenship..."U.S., U.S., Canada". "Purpose of your trip?" "To take her home." "Are you bringing anything into the country you don't intend to take home with you?" "Yes, her!" Well, I didn't get arrested, and the customs agent had a hard time not cracking up, but I don't think that is something I will try again any time soon! big grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny anecdote!
One thing I have learned from this word board: the more I study words, the less I know! I never would have questioned the "de" words before. Now, I seem to analyze many of the words I use. Oftentimes, I find I have been using them incorrectly!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Although it has nothing to do with words, the amusing anecdote about crossing the US/Canada prompts me to repeat an observation regarding the US paranoia about illegal immigrants.

I have been a regular visitor to the USA since 1979 and, for my earlier visits, needed a visa - which took some time to obtain and required the completion of a lengthy form and, amongst other items, required the signature of a declaration that I had never taken part in a plot to assassinate the President!.

In spite of this, I still have to use the lengthy "Non-US" queue (line) and wait for ages before I am subject to a lengthy interrogation by an unsmiling immigration official. Then, a similar interrogation from customs who want to be quite sure I am not bringing in any agricultural products or drugs (England is, of course, well-known as a source of such contrabrand).

The whole process can take up to 30 minutes and is a very poor introduction to the "Land of the Free".

Now, I could understand the need for this stringent vetting were it not for one inescapable fact. The world's longest frontier is that between Canada and the United States and most of it is uprotected. Even the official crossing points are easy to get across - simply join a tour bus from, say, the Canadian side of the Niagra falls and over you go.

If I were a potential illegal immigrant, would I travel through, say, New York, and subject myself to the stringent controls - or would I travel via Canada?

And do the US Government really think I am the first person ever to have thought of this?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was nine months pregnant and went into labor just across the border. My dad put me in his car, and my mom had my son in my car. We pulled up to the gate and my dad yells (over me) "We're having a baby!" "GO!" "The Grandma's behind us!" She pulls up, and he waves her through with another "Go!"

So, you want to get across with contraband? Use a pregnant woman and have her scream! razz

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Frankly, I love it when threads change their focus.
When I went to grad school, I drove from Wisconsin to California, with everything I own, in a tiny car (an Opal--can't even remember who made it). Now, you can imagine how packed that little car was. Going across all the states was fine. However, California had this enormous border control procedure. They went through every single item that I had packed! It took forever. And I wasn't even from another country! mad

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The Opel (sic) was made by, believe it or not, Opel! A German manufacturer owned by General Motors. By European standards a medium-sized vehicle; by US standards of those days, a micro-car!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I got the following response about the prefix "de" from a fellow logophile: The prefix "de" in some words means "from", as in the word you used, "derive". That word happens to be French in origin. Lots of those. I guess we just have to live with the fact that the prefix "de" does not mean the same in all words. That is what makes English difficult, I think. I took Spanish, and it seemeed so much more straightforward.

Thanks for the info on Opel and sorry for the misspelling, Richard!