Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    vowel sounds of sleep/deep
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

vowel sounds of sleep/deep Login/Join

posted
I've noticed that when I say "sleep" the vowel is significantly shorter than when I say "deep". The IPA appears to be iː, but I can't distinguish for which I would use this, and which one I would have to find something else.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's because you speak US English. In UK English the two vowel sounds are the same.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I assume that vowel quality has not changed, just vowel quantity. I'm also not sure that free variation needs to be marked in broad transcription. You might want to ask on the Linguist List.

If you need to distinguish between half-long and long vowels in IPA, you can use the half-colon (actually the modifier letter half triangular colon in Unicode U+02D1) for the former and the colon (actually the modifier letter triangular colon in Unicode U+02D0) for the later. (In a pinch, interpunct and punctuation colon can stand in.)

sleep ['sliˑp̚]
deep ['diːp̚]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sleep and deep have exactly the same vowel sound to my ear.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Same here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I thought that, but I'll bet they're not, you know.

Although we describe these things as one sound there are various different mouth positions used in making them. This is true of most sounds. The sound is affected by the sound of the previous letter and the position that it leaves the mouth in. Try this experiment.

Start to say the word "sleep" but instead of puting a "p" on the end just extend the vowel sound

"sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..."

Now do the same with

"deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..."

For me, my tongue is in a different position causing the second to have a deeper , more "throaty" vocalisation. There is a qualititive difference to the vowel.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, possibly in the Black Country...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No, not in the Black Country. Everywhere. It's part of what's called assimilation which is the change in a sound due to the influence of a neighbouring sound. If you speak at all then assimilation (which has nothing to do with the Borg, if you unless you are captain of the Starship Enterprise) happens to your speech too. It is as inevitable as the sun rising. It has to do with the way sounds are articulated. They are not made as a series of discrete phonemes but as a continuous stream of sound and every sound you make is influenced by the position of your lips, tongue, cheeks etc at the start of it and hence at the end of the previous sound.

The sounds "sl" and "d" are articulated completely differently and therefore "sleep" and "deep" have different realisations of the "ee" sound which is therefore slightly different.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The sounds "sl" and "d" are articulated completely differently and therefore "sleep" and "deep" have different realisations of the "ee" sound which is therefore slightly different.

But gooofy's post seemed to imply that it's the vowel quantity (length) that is affected for him (instead of? or despite? the slight difference in vowel quality).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It did. I was responding to Richard. The vowel length may well vary from accent/dialect to accent/dialect but is rather more under the control of the speaker than vowel quality due to assimilation. For me I can detect a distinct change in quality but no change in quantity. I'd bet that for most speakers the sleeeeeee/deeeeee experiment I proposed would result in subtly different sounds and i they were recorded and the opening sound truncated then playing them back would be noticably different. (With all that said if I "put on" a home counties accent the difference, though still present, is less marked but only at the expense of making a deliberate effort to rearticulate the sound.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have noticed over at OEDILF a tendency to make rhymes like sleep/trip which often pass by the US workshoppers without comment although to me this definitely isn't a rhyme. This demonstrates that there is a change in the vowel length for some speakers.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
There also appears to be a widely held view that cot/caught are homophones which is most definitely NOT the case in most UK accents.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Actually what this discussion does, is demonstrate my long held belief that the IPA table that is printed in the front of a dictionary and that was taught on my recent Cert Ed course (to those students that didn't already know it) is, on its own, rather flawed. It's no use assigning an IPA symbol to a sound and giving examples of words using that sound in print.

/i:/ as in see, sleep, magazine

means nothing unless I know how the person writing the guide pronounces those words.

A completely meaningful guide could only be produced by matching the symbol (on a chart) to a sound (on a tape).

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
a tendency to make rhymes like sleep/trip which often pass by the US workshoppers without comment

Other than Scots English, I am not aware of any English dialect where vowel quantity is phonemic. Having said that, yes, /i:/ and /I/ differ narrowly in length, but they also differ in articulation. I am not really aware of a US dialect where /i:/ and /I/ have collapsed into one sound.

Some information on high front vowel mergers.

There also appears to be a widely held view that cot/caught are homophones which is most definitely NOT the case in most UK accents.

I still preserve the distinction in vowel quality in cot and caught. More on the cot-caught merger.

A completely meaningful guide could only be produced by matching the symbol (on a chart) to a sound (on a tape).

Yes, I agree. The IPA website points at the University of Victoria which has an extensive sound lab online. The late Professor Ladefoged has sounds on his website, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
I still preserve the distinction in vowel quality in cot and caught. More on the cot-caught merger.

Intersting links zm. I've bookmarked them to read in depth later. As the cot/caught merger seems to be regional within the US I was wondering where exactly you are from and whether your separation of these sounds is typical or atypical in your region.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was certain I'd seen sleep rhymed with trip over there but I've investigated and although there are lots of limericks with sleep in a rhyming position they all have proper rhymes for it. I must have seen it somewhere else. I've certainly heard "sleep" prononced (on TV) with a much shorter vowel than I use, though.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
As the cot/caught merger seems to be regional within the US I was wondering where exactly you are from and whether your separation of these sounds is typical or atypical in your region.

I was born in Sonoma County, California, in the '50s. Everybody on both sides of my family, who spoke English natively, made the same distinction. Sonoma is a coastal county north of San Francisco (which is excluded from the merger by the article). My wife, who is from Napa County, just to the east of Sonoma County (part of the North Bay region), also makes the distinction.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
If anybody else is interested in phonetics or phonology, here's an online lecture at the Unviversity of Pennsylvania.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I still contend that this is not the case for me. Mind you, I have a genuine Home Counties accent - not one I effect - and so the lack of distinction you speak of will apply.

Oh, and I did try your deeeeeep sleeeeep experiment, although I've not yet recorded myself, so I am hearing myself partly through bone-conduction, an accepted deceiver.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
I've found that if I am reading poetry aloud, I say the vowels exactly the same. I don't ever recall hearing anyone rhyme "trip" with "sleep", or "cot" with "caught".

Thinking about it some more, I think that assimilation is responsible for the difference, and thus perhaps doesn't need to be quantified in IPA.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Cot and caught are true homophones in many US dialects. The pronunciation is somewhere between the two vowel sounds as they are commonly heard in the UK.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A few examples of the cot/caught merger from the OEDILF. For me NONE of these rhyme but I am certain that they rhyme for their authors.

http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Adriel

http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Actaeon

http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=absentmindedness

http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=alquifou

http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Bardesanist

http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Achsah

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
For me NONE of these rhyme but I am certain that they rhyme for their authors.

I remember reading once, that Chaucer was not considered a very good poet in the early modern English (i.e., Tudor and Elizabethan) period, because he got his rhymes and meters wrong. Of course, Middle English is separated from Modern English by the Great Vowel Shift, and many words changed numbers of syllable owing to endings fading away and such. It took a while to appreciate Chaucer in the language he had written in.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I am from the American Midwest (Ohio)and now live in the Eastern mid-Atlantic region. I did the sleeeeee/deeeeee experiment and my tongue did not budge or shift. I say "cot" to rhyme with "rot" and "robot", and "caught" to rhyme with "ought" and "wrought." Back in the '60s and '70s, I lived in Upstate New York for about 10 years, where they pronounce "cot" and "caught" the same. They also say "Bahb, Jahn and Tahm" for "Bob, John and Tom."

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

But gooofy's post seemed to imply that it's the vowel quantity (length) that is affected for him (instead of? or despite? the slight difference in vowel quality).

I said no such thing. Smile I think you mean Seanahan?

In my speech, the vowels in "sleep" and "deep" are of the same quality and length.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I think you mean Seanahan?

Sorry about that. My mistake. But Seanahan's post seemed to imply that it's the vowel quantity (length) that is affected for him (instead of? or despite? the slight difference in vowel quality).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

Both /l/ and /d/ are produced at the alveolar ridge. The only difference between them is that one is a lateral, and one is a plosive. Since the tongue is in the same position for both, I'm not sure why the vowel quality would be different.

quote:
Originally posted by Seanahan:
I've noticed that when I say "sleep" the vowel is significantly shorter than when I say "deep".

Vowel length can be changed by the following consonant, but the consonant is the same in both of these words. So I don't see what would make the vowel length different.

I'm not saying that Bob and Seanahan are wrong. I'm saying that this sounds very interesting and I'd like to see some spectrograms of their speech.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying that Bob and Seanahan are wrong. I'm saying that this sounds very interesting and I'd like to see some spectrograms of their speech.

If Bob and Seanahan could record themselves saying deep sleep it ought to be easy enough to do the spectrograms. (Cf., for instance, Praat website; I also believe that some of the open source audio rippers do spectral analysis.)

[Fixed typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My...this thread has grown!

Bob, as Wordmatic says, my tongue budges not an inch with "deep" and "sleep." Further, I do not rhyme "cot" with "caught" nor "trip" with "sleep," and those rhymes would never get past me on OEDILF.

I have often been suspicious of OEDILFers who insist words, that aren't close to rhyming, do in their accent or that they say something with an obvious 3 syllables with only 1 syllable in their accent. I often think they just want to get their limerick accepted.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
My...this thread has grown!

Oh My...this thread has grown!
And much hot air has blown
through puffs so warm
to make one yawn:
a deep sleep, cause unknown.

Anon

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
through puffs so warm
to make one yawn:

Sorry to bother you, sir, your honour. Does warm and yawn actually rhyme in your dialect?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry to bother you, sir, your honour. Does warm and yawn actually rhyme in your dialect?

Not in Yorkshire, I'll be bound - but we don't know for sure whether this is where Albert Non came from...

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
we don't know for sure whether this is where Albert Non came from

Ah, I see. I was confused, because I thought a little bird wrote it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am a bit confused... Confused

I have found that there are the perfectionist rhymers, and then those (like me) who think it is okay to be close. I suspect the "yawn" and "warm" are similar sounding to the English because I think they would be to our Easterners. There's always the "n" and "m" problem, of course.

posted Hide Post
quote:
There's always the "n" and "m" problem, of course.

That is the reason why they don't rhyme for me; the vowel sounds are identical.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
That is the reason why they don't rhyme for me; the vowel sounds are identical.

Ah, assonance.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
through puffs so warm
to make one yawn:

Sir is not necessary, especially if intended to be sacrcastic. And No, yawn does not rhyme with warm in my dialect or any other in the UK of which I know.
But I'm still yawning. Wink

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
But I'm still yawning.

Don't worry. As you get older, you will require less sleep.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I'm still yawning.

Don't worry. As you get older, you will require less sleep.

Thanks for the reassurance. I noticed that many years ago.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reassurance.

You're welcome.

I noticed that many years ago.

My mistake; you seem so young at heart.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.