New
Find
Notify
Tools

Realize/realise Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Said elsewhere: along with the correct spelling of "realise"

Now I know Richard is teasing here. We all understand that each version is legitimate and proper, this being one of the standard differences-across-the-pond.

But what I'm asking here is, how did this difference arise? I seem to recall that it was some hypercorrection of what was assumed to be a French word - or something like that?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, only realize, not realise is in the OED. I wonder why.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The OED prefers the "ize" ending and uses it as its house style. If you read the introductory notes to the dictionary they explain their reasoning which is basically that, for most formations, "ize" and "ise" are both acceptable in UK English and that OED prefer "ize" as it is the earlier formation. I suspect the "ise" is now the more popular but, as OED suggest, consistency is more important than spelling preference.

There is one main exception to the rule of preference: the "yse" ending (analyse) is always used in UK English whereas the "yze" ending is used in US English. This is not a matter of choice; it's a genuine difference.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually -ise is the earlier formation, from Old French -iser.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard, do you say that the "ise" is more popular because Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand use it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think 'ise' is the more popular throughout the non-US part of the English-speaking world, although a sizeable minority use 'ize', including the Oxford University Press, who have adopted it as their house style, as Richard said. As we know, 'ize' is the only version used in the US.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
Is this the transatlantic position?

To Americans -ize or –ise
Should not occasion surprise;
A Brit’s –ize may sneak out
When he’s seeking to tout
Favour from you American guys.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post