Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warehousing patients Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In today's Wall Street Journal there was an article about hepatitis C, and they talked about "warehousing patients," meaning deferring treatment in hopes of a better therapy that might come along.

Have you heard of that before? I sure had not.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it. What an unfortunate phrase!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard it, but in the context of ignoring patients rather than deferring treatment.

The UK is not immune to this. My email friend Paul B. of Gloucestershire had a special needs son whose needs were ignored while in a NHS facility and he died. According to Paul, it was found that his problem was not unique, and quite a stink arose as a result, with MPs being involved, and it was on national news. This was about seven years ago, IIRC.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, this was actually a good thing. That is, the current therapy is so intrusive, that the health care providers decide whether patients can wait for possible new treatments.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Can't they think of a better name for the process, though? "Wharehousing" has implications of storing away and we all know the saying, "out of sight, out of mind".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was certainly an "out of signt, out of mind" situation: http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_...nd_news.asp?id=91243

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warehousing reminds me of the Robin Cook novel, Coma, later made into a movie. A coma is induced in patients during surgery. They are then declared brain dead and put in an intensive care facility. The facility is essentially a medical warehouse where the patients are suspended from the ceiling and kept alive until their organs can be harvested and sold on the black market.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, there are induced comas for medical reasons.