Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smooshing Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
Kalleh says elsewhere, "I cannot tell you the number of his limericks that I've workshopped where I've had to smoosh syllables together."

Is smoosh a combination of smash and smooch? Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought it was more of a word than it is. It isn't in the OED, and it is only in the online AHD. In Wikipedia they talk about the "girls of Smoosh," which is a rock group. The AHD calls it informal, meaning to "squash" or "smash." They say the etymology is "imitative." Imitative of "squash" and "smash?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I heard it just yesterday from a transplanted New England Jewish woman who was visiting us. Is it Yiddish?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought it was spelled smush to rhyme with "tush" or "mush".

Three children in the back seat are likely to complain that one of them is being "smushed" by the other two.

There's an NBA basketball player named Smush Parker.

Posts: 83 | Location: Northbrook, ILReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote: I always thought it was spelled smush to rhyme with "tush" or "mush".

To me, 'tush' rhymes with 'push', not with 'mush'.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I say smoosh like s-moo-sh
I say tush to rhyme with push...but not smoosh
I say mush to rhyme with hush...completely differently.

posted Hide Post
I checked dictionary.com and - according to their phonetic symbols -

1. tush, hush, and mush rhyme
2. push and smoosh rhyme
3. Words in 1. do not rhyme with words in 2.

To me, they all rhyme with the same sound.

What really disappointed me, though, was that they didn't have "smush" at all.

So I guess I should look for a "better" dictionary.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've always heard "tush" said with a short "u," rhyming with "bush." Maybe it's because I've hung around several Yiddish-influenced people, but that's how it makes sense to pronounce it.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Over here, we don't use "tush" in the sense you mean. As an interjection, meaning "piffle!" or meaning a tusk, we would pronounce it (in the South, anyway) with a shorter "u" than in "bush"; more like the "u" in "bus". The Midlands and the North of England would use a longer vowel.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Except that we probably wouldn't say it all in the Midlands.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Except that we probably wouldn't say it all in the Midlands.
True; we probably wouldn't use it here, either. Both uses are pretty well obsolescent.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't get it. I thought maybe it was a regional difference, but Frank and I live 2 suburbs away! Push and tush rhyme for me, too. Do you say t-uh-sh then, Frank? I haven't heard it said that way before. I say mush and hush that way.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The reason they don't quite rhyme is that in "push" the initial plosive "p" leaves your lips in a different position for the following vowel and the altered shape of the mouth changes the sound of it. You can make them rhyme either by intentionally focing the lips into the "P" position while saying the m or h sound or by softening the "p".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Over here, we don't use "tush" in the sense you mean. As an interjection, meaning "piffle!" or meaning a tusk, we would pronounce it (in the South, anyway) with a shorter "u" than in "bush"; more like the "u" in "bus". The Midlands and the North of England would use a longer vowel.

Is it related to "pish tosh" -- or is that just a Wodehouse-ism? Smile

Ph

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, Bob. Take the first letters off of push and tush; do they rhyme then? I think they do, but my understanding is that Frank thinks they don't.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it related to "pish tosh" -- or is that just a Wodehouse-ism?
Yes, it's a variant. I doubt it was a coined by Wodehouse, but no-one says that anymore, either.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Okay, Bob. Take the first letters off of push and tush; do they rhyme then? I think they do, but my understanding is that Frank thinks they don't.

You can't. Because then you are asking does "ush" rhyme with "ush".
Like or not speech is connected. When you speak you don't pronounce letters individually or even syllables or words individually. What you do is make one long stream of sound where each componant sound is affect by the position the mouth was left in by the preceding one. To do what you suggest would involve positioning your lips and tongue in the place they would be after making the "p" of push. Stopping without moving them and then, making then "ush" sound. Then doing the same with the "t" and no, in those circumstances they wouldn't be exactly the same sound.

With all that said I'd say they'd be close enough to pass in a limerick.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The reason they don't quite rhyme is that in "push" the initial plosive "p" leaves your lips in a different position for the following vowel and the altered shape of the mouth changes the sound of it. You can make them rhyme either by intentionally focing the lips into the "P" position while saying the m or h sound or by softening the "p".

While what Bob says is strictly true for a phonetic POV, it usually doesn't hold psychologically for speakers from a phonological POV. That is, while to those who know the p in stop, spot, and pot are all pronounced differently, but to the naive, native speaker they all sound the same.

Your lips are in the same position at the beginning of saying a /p/ as they are for saying an /m/: they are both bilabials. And, they both open when pronouncing the following vowel. They seem awfully close in pronunciation to me. If the bit of aspiration after the p is afffecting the voweling vowel, then it would be in a similar way to how the vowel sounds after the h. Again, they're all rather close, and not as different as how the three different p get pronounced in the words aboveabove.

Ther. The first three rhyme with one another, as do the final two. For the purposes of poetical rhyme:

push /'pʊʃ/
smoosh /'smʊʃ/ 'mix, mash together'
tush /'tʊʃ/ 'butt; BE bum'
mush /'mʌʃ/ 'porridge'
hush /'hʌʃ/ 'be quiet'

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
quote:

You can't. Because then you are asking does "ush" rhyme with "ush".
Like or not speech is connected.... With all that said I'd say they'd be close enough to pass in a limerick.

I agree with the last sentence: I'd certainly use them -- maybe even have already Smile -- in a limerick.

But to make the initial point even more, er, pointedly: does '-ough' rhyme with '-ough'? Not just 'dough' (doe) / 'through' (threw) / 'bough' (bow[-wow]) but also 'tough' (tuff) / 'trough' (troff) : on my tongue, NONE of those words rhyme.

Phroggye

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From Bob's and Frank's point of view then (though I agree with Zmj), I must not understand what rhyming means. It is a slam dunk for me that "push" and "tush" rhyme, whether you separate the "p" and "t" or not.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I don't think I understand anymore. In American English, tush 'butt, bum' and push rhyme. I thought what Bob and the other British members were talking about is an interjection tush that rhymes with mush. Two different words.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I can't speak for others but for me the question of wheher tush (meaning arse) rhymes with push is unaswerable. It's a word that doesn't exist in British English.

The exclamatory tush is also very rare nowadays. My only point was that because the words are all single syllabled and ending in -ush that doesn't make them perfect rhymes. Without being physically present to demonstrate the two different sounds there's little more that I can do.

Incidentally the "u" sound that is represented in the phonemic alphabet by what looks like an upside down v doesn't exist in most British accents, hanging on only in the variety now usually called "estuary English".

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The only time I've even used "tush" was when I rhymed it with "Anheuser Busch" in a limerick that was critical of their stance against the brewers of real Budweiser.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Which one is sponsoring the World Cup, the US upstart or the real one?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Typing as an American English speaker who uses tush 'butt' in speech on occasion, I can say that it definitely rhymes with (my pronunciation of) push, but not with mush. My pronunciation of tush is the one I hear regularly from American English speakers.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Which one is sponsoring the World Cup, the US upstart or the real one?
The US upstart. Such a shame the USA got booted out of the competition early. Big Grin

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
This is completely off topic, but how do they select the teams which appear at all?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
how do they select the teams which appear at all?

According to this article:

quote:
Qualifying tournaments are held within the six FIFA continental zones (Africa, Asia, North and Central America and Caribbean, South America, Oceania, Europe), and are organized by their respective confederations. For each tournament, FIFA decides beforehand the number of spots awarded to each of the continental zones, based on the relative strength of the confederations' teams (and, some may argue, political considerations).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
I understand that it's all over, thank goodness. Now maybe I'll be able to see some new on the TV.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Typing as an American English speaker who uses tush 'butt' in speech on occasion, I can say that it definitely rhymes with (my pronunciation of) push, but not with mush. My pronunciation of tush is the one I hear regularly from American English speakers.

My thoughts precisely.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I don't get it. I thought maybe it was a regional difference, but Frank and I live 2 suburbs away! Push and tush rhyme for me, too. Do you say t-uh-sh then, Frank? I haven't heard it said that way before. I say mush and hush that way.

Actually, I might have had one beer too many when I wrote that.

Push, mush, tush, smush all rhyme for me. I didn't know there was a word like "smoosh". And the word "mush" means something sentimental. And a "tush" is a butt.

Mush and hush rhyme if "mush" means some porridge-like stuff one might be "eating".

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What is the word "mush" if it doesn't mean porridge?

posted Hide Post
When you come to Birmingham, Kalleh, we'll try to sort out a meal with some mushy peas for you.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
mushy peas AND faggots?

I'd say you can count me out on that particular meal.