Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

means something else Login/Join

posted
Some words sound like they should mean something else, often the exact opposite. “Secular” is one such that has always bothered me, because one would suppose it means sectarian. Here’s another one, that I just recently came upon:

Says William James about Voltaire’s later-life attitude about the world in The Varieties of Religious Experience, “Much as we may admire such a robust old gamecock spirit in a valetudinarian, to call it a religious experience would be odd.”

From the sound of the word I had supposed a valetudinarian to be someone honored in the depth and breadth of his scholarship. But actually it means someone weak or sickly

I was sure an alienist would be anyone promoting the idea of amnesty. It means psychiatrist

Another: latitudinarian, that one might imagine means a world traveler who makes a special note of differences between the hemispheres. It means deviationism or liberalism

Do you have any favorite words of this sort

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think you may be thinking of valedictorian.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arnie: That was my inference, I was making a feeble thrust at subtlety

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I don't think valedictorian is used in the UK; at least, I've never heard it and have always assumed it was an American custom.

I have moved this topic to Q & A About Words as you seemed to indicate you wanted it there, instead of Potpourri.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Sure, either one, as they're both pretty active

I sure was disappointed in the response to "porch dog," tho

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Dale, don't be disappointed. First of all, this is a small site, relatively speaking. Secondly, I had read it and thought it would take more time than I had to research it. So, I put it on my back burner. I will come back to it. Perhaps others will, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
k: Thanks for the encouragement

Actually I suffer a form of intellectual laziness, in addition to incipient Alzheimer's, wishing not to have to wade through 1000 Ghits

Using large sites I complain about my thread getting lost or archived before I get a good answer. Using a small site like this one I am disappointed by the scant response

I am a curmudgeon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Another consideration is that sites go through peaks and valleys. Often, especially with a smaller board, several people will be on vacation together, or whatever. When that happens, slowness will beget slowness (there is nothing to respond to so even when people are around, there might be nothing much to reply to), and it can become a vicious cycle. Then, suddenly, for no apparent reason often, the board begins to heat up and things are really clicking.

This used to frustrate me, but I am beginning to understand that it's just natural for most boards.

BTW, has anyone seen neveu lately? I have been missing him!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it neveu who said that he was leaving off all of his internet interactions?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
CW,

That was aput.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, arnie is correct. I have sent neveu an email and a PM and hope to hear from him. I liked his style.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh, ok. I knew it was someone. I do hope neveu comes back.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Oh, ok. I knew it was someone. I do hope neveu comes back.

Sounds a most unkind sentiment to me Wink

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post