Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the end of the day... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Certainly we've all heard the phrase, "at the end of the day." However, I am wondering if suddenly it is heating up as a phrase. Have you been hearing it more? I was recently at a conference where two of their plenary speakers used the phrase a number of times - to the point that I began to count how many times. When the first did it, I thought it was just her idiosyncrasy. But the second did the same, even though they were from different universities (Albuquerque and Houston) and speaking on very different subjects. I thought it very strange - and somewhat annoying. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's become business-speak, up there with 'blue skies thinking' and 'thinking outside of the box'. Essentially it is content-free.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the phrase needs a sunset clause. http://legal-dictionary.thefre...ry.com/Sunset+clause

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Geoff! Our boards of nursing deal with those sunset laws all the time.

Are you hearing the phrase more often, too?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post