Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Derogatory terms made positive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Derogatory terms made positive Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
I found this post:
quote:
Sooner was originally a derisive term, but was adopted with pride by those being scorned. The same is true of yankee and hoosier.
If you folks can supply me with four more, I'll have a theme. Help is solicited. Thank you.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Are you asking about names of sports teams?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
Laughing at myself!

Sorry about the ambiguity, Kalleh. I'm asking about ethnic (etc.) slurs that were proudly adopted by the victims as their own name, and thereby lost their offensiveness.

posted Hide Post
Certainly the N-word is used among the African-American community with respect. Certain musicians, I think, take pride in calling themselves "White Trash".

This goes beyond ethnic slurs. The "Big Bang" was originally a slur. There is actually a general linguistic principle about such reversals. Knight, for example, comes from the word meaning knave.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Winners of the Washington Post Style Invitational Contest are collectively known as losers. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post