Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avaricious Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am being proactive here, as I know that someone will (should) question me on my definition of "avaricious" in this limerick I wrote for OEDILF:

Avaricious, a word meaning greedy,
Is one I consider quite seedy.
You may covet my money
Or even my honey.
You're envious, jealous — so needy!

I know that "avaricious" means "greedy," of course. But, isn't there also an element of "envy" and "jealousy" related to it? Yet, when I went to the dictionary, I didn't find that. Another question...is "avaricious" only about money? Or, can you be "greedy" for another's "honey," as in my limerick? Again, the definitions seemed to relate "avaricious" only to money.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've only seen it used in relation to money, but metaphorically, perhaps otherwise...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I think of avarice as lust for money, but here's an example meaning lust for goods:
    Gross did a separate inquiry into how much the government spends just on decorating and furniture. A ranking bureaucrat can spend $100,000 making his office posh. These days government, not business, is where avarice really runs amok ... National Review, Sept. 14, 1992

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A common definition given online is " immoderately desirous of acquiring e.g. wealth" The part in italics seems to indicate that lust for money is just an example; one can be avaricious for other things.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think avarice can mean lust for lots of things, Kalleh. I'd go with it.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some quotes from the OED Online:
quote:
avarice
Inordinate desire of acquiring and hoarding wealth; greediness of gain, cupidity.

quote:
cupidity 1.gen. Ardent desire, inordinate longing or lust; covetousness. Const. of, for. arch.
b. (with pl.) An inordinate desire or appetite. arch
2. spec. Inordinate desire to appropriate wealth or possessions; greed of gain.

quote:
avariciousness
The quality of being avaricious; greediness of wealth.

It sounds to me that both words mean the same thing. There may be a subtle difference but, if there is, it escapes me. Avarice is greed for material wealth, which can imply that the avaricious person is envious and jeolous of those who have the wealth he or she desires. But it doesn't really apply to sexual lust.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If I remember correctly, the French word for "miser" is avare. That's clearly right from the root. ( Latin > French > English)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
{i}Avarice[/i] is greed for material wealth, which can imply that the avaricious person is envious and jeolous of those who have the wealth he or she desires. But it doesn't really apply to sexual lust.

Mind you, no one has complained yet. I am just predicting someone will. Tinman, from your OED quote about "cupidity" it sounds to me that the line about coveting my "honey" would still work. I wasn't referring to sexual lust or anything. I can't wait to quote that OED definition to them when they start to refute my definition! Thanks! [Oh for that OED! How lucky CW is to have one around her every day.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post