Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back in Vogue? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
KHuffington Post says there are several slang words we should reintroduce into our conversations. They are (with their comments):

1. Groovy.
Meaning: Awesome.
Because without it, "Wild Thing" wouldn't exist. And it's just so fun to say. Groovy.

2. Swell.
Meaning: Excellent. Fabulous.
As in "Gee whiz, that Ellen sure is swell!" Adorable.

3. Radical.
Meaning: Cool. (Not extreme.)
Because sometimes you just want to sound like an 80s surfer dude.

4. Scram.
Meaning: Get out of here. Immediately.
The only thing we had to say to our younger brothers and sisters growing up.

5. Neat.
Meaning: Cool. (Not tidy.)
Feel free to put your own spin on it. Like "neato keeno" or "neato torpedo."

6. Funky.
Meaning: Cool or stylish. (Not smelly or stinky.)
Because you'll love the confused look on your kids' faces when you say it.

7. The bee's knees.
Meaning: Used to tell someone they are simply the best.
It's disputed as to how this phrase came about, but many sources agree this was a flapper-era phrase coined in the early 20s. Similar nonsensical terms were "the flea's eyebrows" and "the canary's tusks." We can see why those didn't stick.

8. Cool beans.
Meaning: Agreed.
Because sometimes cool just isn't enough.

9. Tubular.
Meaning: Excellent. Incredible. Terrific. (Not something shaped like a tube.)
The ultimate 80s slang term. Saying it will remind you of big California waves, surfboards and big hair.

10. Hot to trot.
Meaning: Eager. Ready to go.

10. Hot to trot.
Meaning: Eager. Ready to go.
This one's a bit naughty. "He's hot to trot, with a different date every night of the week."

11. Wicked.
Meaning: Ultra cool. Impressive. (Not evil.)
It's a commonly used phrase in the UK and New England ... and Harry Potter and his friends love to use it. Especially Ron.

Any thoughts?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I still am caught saying "neat" these days, though I've tried to change it to "cool" so that I don't sound so old-fashioned. There's probably something besides "cool" now, too.

My sister still says, "Cool beans!", and I love it when she uses it. However, it's probably not my style.

I don't use "wicked," but I thought that was still pretty much in.

I do remember using "hot to trot," though only for your second meaning.

"Swell," groovy," "funky" and that meaning of "radical" are likely just too old to come back for awhile.

I thought I've heard "That's the bees knees recently, but maybe just in a movie?

I must have missed out on "tubular." I've not heard it to mean that.

Great words/phrases, Proof!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The coffee stall at my local station is named 'Kool Beanz' - radical spelling as well!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And don't forget the catbird seat. I started thinking of some Laugh-in phrases and characters, such as Goldie Hawn's "You bet your sweet bippy!". Ernestine's (Lily Tomlin) "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?" Then I spent the rest of the evening watching Laugh-in videos.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then I spent the rest of the evening watching Laugh-in videos.

They're as fresh now as they were at the time. Truly a great comedy show.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
Then I spent the rest of the evening watching Laugh-in videos.

They're as fresh now as they were at the time. Truly a great comedy show.

How come you've seen that arnie? I don't remember us ever getting it in the UK.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the videos include Teresa Graves, the very pretty woman who wiggled her "bippy" alongside Goldie Hawn? I remember her "getting religion" and requesting that her parts not be included in re-runs.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
She could have sent the parts she didn't want to me.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bob,

According to Wikipedia it was broadcast on BBC2 from January 1969 – 1974. Some episodes from Seasons 1, 2 and 3 were re-transmitted during late 1983 and early 1984. I don't recall seeing the re-runs, though.

<Proofreader>
posted
The right wing went into a tizzy several weeks ago when Obama appeared on a comedy interview. They said it was beneath the dignity of the office, forgetting that Richard Nixon appeared on Laugh-in.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah well, Richard Nixon is hardly someone the right wing brags about. However, look at the shows/movies one of their favorites was in. I haven't heard most of them, though one of the comedies was The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
arnie, maybe it was regional... back then BBC regions had much more power to opt out of the national broadcasting schedule

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Nixon

To give him his due, Nixon was a presidential candidate when he appeared on Laughin.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing Nixon on Laugh In saying, "Sock it to me?" (Yes, he made it a question) It took a while, but eventually it happened.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I found this link about presidents on TV. Here's what it says about Nixon in Laugh-In:
quote:
Someone brilliant in Richard Nixon's 1968 campaign (a campaign that was done right for a change compared to his 1960 run) thought it a good idea to get Nixon on "Laugh-In" through the use of the show's blackout gags. For those like me who weren't born yet and saw the show later in reruns, you'd know they used three-second blackouts with every big-name celebrity you could name at the time--usually uttering a quick non-sequitur or just plain nonsense. One of the widely-repeated catchphrases that seemingly did make sense on the show was "Sock it to me!" and probably represented Nixon's essence to the core...if more so within another five years.
Here's a quote from that article about Clinton:
quote:
Other than George Bush, Sr. appearing in more serious taped remarks on Bob Hope's final TV specials, only Bill Clinton took the plunge in appearing on a comedy show--at least while running for President. We all remember his appearance on Arsenio Hall. How many, though, remember when Clinton was Governor of Arkansas and appeared with Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show" who ribbed Clinton for talking too long at the 1988 Democratic Convention? Clinton was uproarious during this appearance while poking fun at his own protracted oratory skills.
I'd love to see that! I did like Clinton.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
1. I still use all of those words in my daily vocabulary. Granted, I'm odd.
2. I loved Laugh-In. We watched it every week, and my parents were always very conservative both with politics and with bedtimes (I was pretty young at the time). I'm certain I didn't understand all the jokes, but I'm also certain it has influenced my sense of humor just as the Smothers Brothers and Bill Cosby did (also thanks to my folks).
3. I remember Nixon on Laugh-In. I also remember going to our local airport so that my whole family could cheer "4 more years" when Nixon drove by. As I mentioned, Mom and Dad are quite Republican.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I also remember going to our local airport so that my whole family could cheer "4 more years" when Nixon drove by

Supposedly a woman was walking down the street when a Nixon rally was progressing. Someone grabbed her and pulled her into any alley where he performed all sorts of atrocious acts on her. When she reported the event to the police, they were surprised that she hadn't called for help from the many attendees.
"What/' she said. "And have that SOB Nixon think I was cheering for him?"

posted Hide Post
CaterWHO??? Welcome back, CW!

Yeah, them wuz all goooood shows!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, we do love to see you here, CW. Next we need to see more of z.

Proof, that is a joke, right? [I never know with you.Wink]