Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

entelechy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My logophile friend, whom I cannot convince to post here, reminded me of the word "entelechy." According to AHD, it means a vital force that directs an organism toward self-fulfillment. In other words, the human being is able to reach self-actualization, high on Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Yet, I wonder what that "vital force that directs the organism" is. I don't get it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The great thing about Wordcraft is the invitation to just follow a thread...

Dictionary.com tells us:

en·tel·e·chy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-tl-k) n. pl. en·tel·e·chies
In the philosophy of Aristotle, the condition of a thing whose essence is fully realized; actuality.
In some philosophical systems, a vital force that directs an organism toward self-fulfillment.

The etymology is interesting:

From Greek entelekheia : entels, complete (en-, in; see en-2 + telos, completion; see kwel-1 in Indo-European Roots) + ekhein, to have; see segh- in Indo-European Roots.]

In other words, to have completion. Or, when we look from the Teutontic side of English -- fulfillment.

So in life, after all the needs are met, there is still room for that level of satisfaction. Which last word, reverting to the Latin side of English, share a root facere, to make.

Maybe to be happy, we just need to keep busy.

RJA

Posts: 489 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, Robert, that makes sense! That all fits into Maslow's theory of human needs, with self-actualization being at the top of the hierarchy.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post