Find
Notify
Tools

New words? Login/Join

posted
From today's newspaper:
quote:
Highway signs to encourage drivers to stay in Brooklyn

NEW YORK (AP) --Highway signs will soon encourage drivers on their way out of Brooklyn to "fugheddaboudit," and stay in the borough.

Borough President Marty Markowitz created the signs as "another great example of the Brooklyn attitude" that would give people one last chanct to "turn their cars around and stay in the promised land."

"Once you enter Brooklyn, there's no good reason why you should ever leave," Markowitz said.

The 5-foot-by-8-foot signs read "Leaving Brooklyn, Fugheddaboudit," and will be installed by the end of the week at exit points on the Gowanus Expressway, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway and the Belt Parkway.

Fugheddaboudit? So, what do you think? Or should I just forget about it?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sounds to me as though they're saying, "leave Brooklyn and put it out of your mind."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How do you New Yorkers (and I say that nasally and with an eastern accent) pronounce it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
How do you New Yorkers (and I say that nasally and with an eastern accent) pronounce it?

Ummmm....take the "s" off "sit" and that is the way I pronounce "it". Roll Eyes

Onnnnnnnnnnnnn....another note....

My husband watches a group of TV shows with a car theme. They have a girl that introduces them and gives a quick preview of what is to come. Last year when they started using her, she was the typical dumb blonde in the short skirt and not much else. Extremely annoying doesn't even come close to describing her!

This year, they made her character much less annoying and tried to "smarten" her up. The other day, she used a word, "restification" which she explained was "restoration and beautification". I think they were trying to coin a new word, as I can't find it in any online dictionary. Any comments appreciated!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great word, Morgan. I googled it and found it on this site (you need to scroll down a bit). This is some random guy, but his definition is:"...restification in my mind means returning a car to a better than new state making changes to the original without taking away from the class and style of the car."

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Wasn't "Fugheddaboudit" the pet saying of some TV-show character?

PS: Google shows it much more commonly spelled as "Fuhgeddaboudit" (fuhg, not fugh).

PPS: The Sopranos, perhaps?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kalleh! This is exactly what they were talking about in the show that she was introducing. But where did this word come from, if it is not in any current dictionaries? Is it a "legal" word or an upcoming word?

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Further research: We can take "fuhgeddaboudit" back at least as far as Tuesday August 14, 2001 in the major media.

PS: Make that Wednesday October 18, 2000.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But where did this word come from, if it is not in any current dictionaries? Is it a "legal" word or an upcoming word?
Morgan, I can't seem to find "restification" in any dictionary, including the OED. I think it just may be an up-and-coming word, as you say.