Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A gainly gang, which way they weigh?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A gainly gang, which way they weigh? Login/Join

Picture of KB
posted
One of the recent newsletters reminded me of a phrase I've heard in a few films, so I wrote him back to ask about it. However, I was asked to put it to the forum, as he'd thought it was another phrase used there (which DID sound familiar, too...)

So, when someone is in a hurry and encounters a crowd that slows their passage, what is the phrase they usually yell, telling them to move aside? I thought it was "gain way" (or maybe "gain weigh'), but our wordcrafter thought it was "gang way". Like I said, the last DOES sound familiar, but I still think I've heard the other(s?) a few times. What's the reigning opinion, folks?

KB
Khyranleander

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
My vote goes for "Gangway !"

I have never heard it any other way, but until it's written there's hardly any way to know how the speaker might spell it.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto. And I'm pretty sure I've seen it in writing that way, too.

Its origin might be interesting.

<Proofreader>
posted
Etymology: OE gangweg, thoroughfare (< gang, in obs. sense “a going” & way)

noun
a passageway for entering, leaving, or going past an opening in a vessel’s bulwarks or railing that allows passage on or off <by way of a> gangplank

make room; clear the way

That's the definition I found in one online dictionary. It's also the way I have always heard it or read it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED Online dates the word to about 1000, and the nautical definition to 1688.
quote:
gangway
f.
Used interjectionally, as a demand to clear the way.
1925 FRASER & GIBBONS Soldier & Sailor Words 101 Gangway, make way for a naval officer! An expression, heard sometimes among New Army men in the War,..meaning ‘Get out of the way’, ‘Stand back’, ‘Clear a passage’. ‘Gangway!’ is ordinarily a common warning call on board ship, meaning as above.
1942 O. NASH Good Intentions 56 Gangway, you motoring proletariat.
1946 E. O'NEILL Iceman Cometh (1947) IV. 219 Gangway for two good whores!

Terms,Traditions and Customs of the Naval Service
quote:
Gangway. From the Anglo-Saxon "gang." Meaning to go, or make a passage in or cut through. An opening in a ship to give entrance for boarding or leaving the ship. It may be either an opening in a bulkhead or railing.
Also, "Gangway," a command to step aside or make way. Who remembers not the messcooks cry, "Gangway, hot stuff." Or in a jovial mood, "Gangway, lady with a baby."

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KB
posted Hide Post
Heh, looking pretty solid on what mode is correct/prefered. And to be honest, the more I thought about it, the less certain I was that I'd actually seen the other used. (shrug) Guessing had a mite of a short in the brain circuitry. Thanks, everyone!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Interesting bit of cross-threading.

German Eingang is "Way In" and "Ausgang" is way out, so this another tautology - Gangway is literally, "way way".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who remembers not the messcooks cry, "Gangway, hot stuff."

I, for one, remember this not.