New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forego Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
quote:
I am in receipt of your inquiry regarding booking your travel for our February meeting. However, we will not be able to forego any plans for that meeting until the completion of our December meeting.
Here's the situation: We cannot set up travel plans for the February meeting until after the December meeting has been held. The meeting attendee had wanted to book his travel to both meetings now. Interesting misuse of forego, unless I am missing something.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like overnegation.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What did you think of his flowery language? He always writes like this.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
He should read Gowers' Plain Language.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Small correction - the title is The Complete Plain Words.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Looks like he's working from an old-fashioned book of models for letters. Haven't seen "I am in receipt of your" since Katharine Gibbs days. Reminds me of "____ accepts with pleasure" (etc, copying out every line of a wedding invitation).

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, I haven't read that book before, have you? It might be beneficial for me because I often come across that flowery language.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, Gowers is a classic. Required reading for all who write letters (and emails nowadays).