Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    "Thingies" and related entities
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thingies" and related entities Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
Wordmatic says, "click on the orange and white striped thingy ...(I am using the word "thingy" in its exact scientific sense.)"

Other names for a thingy, please, or items related thereto?

dingus
doohickey
whatchamacallit

More?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Thingum, thingum bob.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here's a similar thread from four years ago.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Whadeedoodah.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a family with little children "thingy" is often used to refer to a boys anatomy. As, his thingy.

On a similar vein, "growies" is used in a laboratory to refer to something unknown that contaminates a Petri dish. In the home one might say, "Throw out that cheese, there are growies on it."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I remember someone here, maybe it was CJ, thinks that the word "thing" itself should never be used. He made such a good point that even now I try to be more precise than just saying "thing."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I remember someone here, maybe it was CJ, thinks that the word "thing" itself should never be used.

That's nice [sic]. Here we have a word with many meanings, and a part of the language for over 1500 years. Many languages have a word for thing. The Icelanders even named their parliament the Althing. Heidegger wrote extensibly about thing as a concept; Kant, even earlier wrote about the Ding an sich (the thing by itself). Early dialect linguists used to obsess over the word and the thing. Must we also rid our vocabulary of something or anything? And, just who is CJ? And why is he so reiphobic? Sigh.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think it's just akin to my dislike of the word "nice" as its applied nowadays. I can almost always find a better word to use.
It isn't just English either. One of my German teachers deplored his students use of "nett" (German for "nice") because it indicated to him that we were too lazy to try to think of the word we really wanted.

PS. What's "reiphobic"? It isn't in onelook.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What's "reiphobic"? It isn't in onelook.

A nonce word: a fear of things. From Latin res 'thing' + Greek phobia 'fear'. It's a hybrid, too. Gets great mileage.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I think it's a good exercise to challenge yourself not to use one word or another from time to time, just to keep the old mental thesaurus limber. Once when I was covering an ice show for a newspaper long ago, my editor challenged me to write the story without using the word "graceful," and of course, there were many fine alternatives to same.

Agreeing with zmj, though, that no word should be banned absolutely. "That would be a bad thing."

Wink

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
zmj, before starting the OEDILF, CJ used to post here quite often. I have just checked, in our advanced search function, to see if I could find that post of CJs. In fact, he has used the word thing 129 times here...so he couldn't hate the word that much! I may have misunderstood, and I will ask him about it in a PM. Bob, I do think it was similar to your dislike of nice, which I also remember talking about here.

I hadn't heard of "reiphobic" either. Nice word.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it's just akin to my dislike of the word "nice" as its applied nowadays. I can almost always find a better word to use.

Whereas this is certainly true, simply because the word "nice" is imprecise that doesn't necessarily make it a bad word. There are times when imprecision isn't a bod thing.

When being generally complimetary about a person to another, it might be better to say, "He's a nice old chap" than to try to find a word (or more likely words) that will precisely describe the several ways in which the old chap is nice.

It is sufficient for the purposes of that conversation to express your view that the person concerned is someone about whom you have positive feelings.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geez, I don't know about the rest of you, but I am having trouble staying on top of Wordcraft these days. I guess that's a good thing! Wink

I did email CJ about his problem with thing, and here is what he says:

"My dislike of the word 'thing' is not so much for the word itself but for its overuse when people are too lazy to use the correct words for what they're talking about. For example, when someone says, 'Hand me that thing on the thing, y'know, over by the thing,' I want to reach for the nearest ax."

I think most of us would agree with that attitude. His message makes me smile, and I realize I miss CJ's posts. He used to keep us all laughing. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
While we're at it, how about overuse of the word "very." It is rarely very necessary

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
While I can understand nice and thing to a point, I think very adds intensity. "Thank you very much!" means a lot more to me than "Thank you" or "Thank you much." Of course it can be overused.