Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greeks... Login/Join

posted
There is a saying, "the Greeks had a word for it..."

Is that an unattributable folk expression, or is there a source?

In searching, I have not found an attribution, but have found many delightful examples, unexpectedly apt Greek words adapted to contemporary use. (Perhaps that is a new theme for Vocabulary forum?)

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Greeks had a word for it

Great question, Robert! I have been searching the Web for who said it, and haven't found it yet. However, in the meantime I found this article about words in other languages. I particularly liked the German word Zechpreller, meaning one who leaves without paying the bill. Also, a while ago I asked on this board if there were an English word to talking to oneself, but it doesn't seem to exist. However, the Chinese have a word chenyin, meaning "muttering to oneself." You can see some cultural differences here, too. For example, the Dutch word queesting means "allowing a lover access to one's bed, under the covers, for a chit-chat. Compare that with the Italian word, pomicione, meaning "a man who seizes any chance of being in close physical contact with a woman."

I still haven't found a word in any language for navel lint, though. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia calls it fluff.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It seems the phrase originates from the title of a play (1930) by Zoe Akins (1886-1958).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Only on Wordcraft...thanks, Zmj. I would have guessed the quote was much older.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I said seems, and I still think that perhaps Wordcraft will find an earlier citation as is their wont.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post