Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solicit Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I just had an unfortunate confrontation with two people from PETA this afternoon. We have a "No Soliciting" sign on our entryway, but the PETA folks left a handbill anyway. I saw them leaving, then saw the literature, and went out to give it back to them. One of them declared that they were "not soliciting," then exclaimed, "Read the dictionary, asshole!" Despite my feeling that PETA has some good points to make, they did NOT win my support today!

Now the question: Do you consider the placing of handbills, tracts, flyers, etc, on one's house to be soliciting? Do I indeed "need to read the dictionary" (again)?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
One of them exclaimed, "Read the dictionary, asshole!"
Great public relations, there.

I agree with you. The handbill, though perhaps partially meant to be informative, no doubt solicited your financial contribution, time, membership, etc.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
no doubt solicited your financial contribution, time, membership, etc.

Agreed. He, in fact, is the asshole!

Speaking of soliciting, I got solicited in a cab from the airport to my hotel here in Pittsburgh. The conversation started off fine, as he and I were on the same political side. However, soon he began to say that, though he has strong political views, he doesn't vote because, after all, he is Christian. Christians, according to him, shouldn't vote because Jesus Christ is their King. He then went on to proselytize. Strange. Anyway, I consider proselytizing as a form of soliciting.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Agreed. He, in fact, is the asshole!

It was a she who was so rude; the he just stood there.

quote:
Speaking of soliciting, I got solicited in a cab ... Christians, according to him, shouldn't vote because Jesus Christ is their King. ... I consider proselytizing as a form of soliciting.

For those who've actually READ the bible, christians of ancient times abstained from political involvement, following Jesus' alleged words to Pilate, "My kingdom is not of this world." Thus your cabby did make sense. Jehovah's Witnesses and a few others take this position, but not Calvinists and Catholics, which means 90% of christendom.

I agree, Kalleh, while he wasn't selling anything, he WAS soliciting your conversion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I think you're stretching the meaning of "soliciting." The signs people put up saying "NO Soliciting" generally refers to people coming to your door begging for money. "Soliciting" in the broad sense really just means "asking." So whenever you ask someone a question, you are soliciting their response. Presumably, Asa, you wouldn't berate someone for asking you for directions or for the time. But then, maybe you would. You could post another sign at your entryway saying, "No Peddling, No Trespassing, No Prosyletizing!" And don't forget "No Littering." That should take care of the handbills. But it won't.

Handbills can be irritating, but mostly I just throw them in the recycling. Once, though, I was particularly irritated at receiving a handbill from a nearby church. I took it back and taped it to the door with a note to the effect: "I don't litter on your doorstep; don't you litter on mine."

But it's not worth getting your adrenaline up over.

There's a house down the street with signs on the gate that send mixed messages. One says "Welcome," and the other, just below it, says "Posted No Trespassing."

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a she who was so rude; the he just stood there.

Hmmm, it just goes to show that I am a bit sexist, eh?

My daughter (Gloria Steinem's hero!) gets so annoyed because whenever I encounter a foolish driver, I automatically assume it is a woman driver. More times than not, I am right, too! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

My daughter (Gloria Steinem's hero!) ...

Your daughter is Gloria Steinem's hero?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well...I must have been tired. I meant the opposite. Red Face

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Solicit is another word for our list of "words that have dirty meanings sometimes" . . . I usually think of soliciting meaing to turn tricks.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post