Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

queer v gay reading Login/Join

posted Hide Post
When it comes to the theory of homosexuality being no more than a preference or lifestyle choice, I can't help thinking: given the repercussions of that choice in contemporary American society, what (sane) person would make make that choice?

Playing golf is a preference and a choice; how many people would choose to "indulge in golfial behavior" if they knew they risked losing their jobs, being shunned by friends, family and neighbors if "outed", being beat up or dragged to death by a rope down a gravel road?

It may be only anecdotal evidence, but I've had innumerable serious conversations with many gay friends and acquaintances, and without exception they reliably and convincingly report that it's something they ARE. Many of them would much rather NOT be that way, given the realities. There's also many reports (and at least one book) on gays born into and raised in fundamentalist families, and the spiritual agonies that that entails.

To get back to words (and Richard's cilial bisections): I'm left-handed, which puts me in a roughly 10% minority. This makes me statistically unusual but in no way, shape or form abnormal!

To ride the comparison a little farther: my handedness is not a choice I made, it's part of what I am. Even so, I could have changed to my right hand, or been made to (the attempt was made in first grade, but my father nipped that vehemently in the bud), it's true. Of course, a statistically significant number of lefties-turned-righties wind up being stammerers later in life, which is a sign that the forced switch is maybe not a good idea ...

Still, I agree with Kalleh: it's multifactorial (as most things in life are, to the dismay of monomanes everywhere (about 80% of the human race)) -- but with almost certainly some kind of genetic component.

David

Posts: 141 | Location: San Jose, Costa Rica (expat)Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for that. However, the thrust of my post was the question whether in current usage there is a notable difference in the meaning of "queer reading" v that of "gay reading"

After some Googling I had concluded the former describes an action by a reader (gerund?) and the second a type of literature (noun) and so I was wondering whether someone might confirm

Or maybe I'm splitting hair

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,