Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many? Login/Join

posted
Has this distinguished company every wrestled with the meaning of those undefined-quantity words?

What is the numerical order of: bunch couple cluster few group handful many scattering smattering several some...?

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I try to avoid finding myself in a situation where those arbitrary measurements are used. The last time I bought a bunch of automobiles, they put all the bad ones on the bottom.

I CAN see myself buying a cluster of bomblets, though.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember Linus (IIRC) in the Peanuts comic strip stating that he had a group of grapes. It seems Charles Shultz stayed awake nights pondering this very question. And then there's the military with their cluster bombs. How many comprise a cluster? Nobody I know is still alive to say how often they were clusted when the bomb hit.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Nobody I know is still alive to say how often they were clusted when the bomb hit.

Although they were definitely cluster-f***ed.

And you don't want to get bombed by a cluster of these.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting question, Robert. I searched, the best I could, to see if this has been discussed before. I did find this post, early on in WC's history (2002) on small quantities. Then, in 2005, quantity itself was discussed.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post