Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pensioner Login/Join

posted
This article reports on a prank in which the artist Banksy, disguised as a British pensioner, surreptitiously hung his own work in various notable galleries.
I thought pensioner meant someone who was retired, on a pension. The pictures show him looking like someone wearing a disguise. Is there a connotation of pensioner I'm missing, or do British retirees just look like that?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought pensioner meant someone who was retired, on a pension. The pictures show him looking like someone wearing a disguise.
It does. He looks more like a spy or child molester to me.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
could be a dope-smoking axe murderer

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the OED says this:

" 1. One who is in receipt of pension or regular pay; one who is in the pay of another; in early use, a paid or hired soldier, a mercenary; in 17-18th c. often with implication of base motives: a hireling, tool, creature."

I suppose the idea of a "mercenary with base motives" would work here.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
base motives

wouldn't that be a baseball player?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found a very wide variety of uses for the word:

1) One who is in receipt of a pension or regular pay. This is clearly a very general term and can therefore be used in relation to a mercenary. To be a 'hireling' seems to date from about 1487.
2) To receive a consideration for past services (the mind boggles)
3) Inmate of the Chelsea and Greenwich hospitals.
4) A member of a bodyguard, a retainer (1632)
5) The officer of the Inns of Court who collected the pensions etc.
6) One who makes a stated periodical payment.
7) A boarder; especially a girl or woman living en pension in a convent or school in France, Belgium etc.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd guess that, as the story favours banksie, the information was fed to the writer of the article by banksie and so while banksie might have said his intent was to appear as a pensioner, an independent reporter might not see banksie's disguise as he intended it. I thought he looked like the love child of Jacques Clouseau and Rolf Harris. That would explain both the clumsy nature of his attempts and his need to paint on walls...

beans

Posts: 129 | Location: AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Beans, it is great to see someone here from Australia! I hope you will stay with us because we'd love an Australian perspective on words.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post