Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Point of no return... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Yesterday, Morgan and her husband took Shufitz and me to Niagara Falls. I had never seen it, and it is beautiful.

As we were watching the rapids, Morgan's husband showed me where the point of no return is, meaning, if you go beyond that point...goodbye! I wondered if that is how the phrase evolved. Nobody seemed to know, and I couldn't find the answer online. Do any of you know?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've always understood it to mean the point beyond which you have no choice but to continue.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
I thought it was an expression from piloting planes. It's the point at which you no longer have enough fuel to make it back to your starting point so you have to continue on.

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always understood it to mean the point beyond which you have no choice but to continue.
Well, Asa, in essence I believe that is what it means with the rapids. In other words, beyond a certain point you can't turn back and you will go over the falls to a certain death. I just wondered if that phrase was used to describe that situation.....or if it was (were?) dervived from it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I heard that R.E. is boycotting one of his regular pubs because, as a joke, they served him a tall glass of Budweiser.

It was the pint of no return...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin hehe Big Grin

Posts: 26 | Location: buffalo, nyReply With QuoteReport This Post